North South University wakes up to terror link of its students after Bangladesh attacks

Under fire from all quarters following the discovery of its students in the latest terror attacks in Bangladesh, privately run North South University has decided to rusticate students who are found to be absent continuously for one semester.

Staff Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 10 July 2016, 06:19 PM
Updated : 10 July 2016, 07:24 PM

The decision was taken on Sunday after an emergency meeting of the top brass including its vice chancellor and other prominent functionaries, Deputy Director (PR) Belal Ahmed said.

Speaking to bdnews24.com on Sunday night he said, “In the past if a student would remain absent for two semesters, his/her studentship was liable to be cancelled.

“(But) from now on, if someone remains absent without valid and logical reason for one semester, the studentship of the student will be cancelled.”

However, students would be served notice prior to the rustication, he said.

The Middle East-based terror group had released the photographs of five of the six gunmen killed in the commando operation in the Gulshan’s Holey Artisan Bakery and O’ Kitchen on July 1. Two of these have been found to be the students of this university.

One of them belonged to BRAC University, another private institution.

Investigations have revealed that these students had been absent for a long time from the university and they had no contact with either their family or the university.

Many have raised questions about the standards of education at the university after several of its students were found to have their hands in successive terror attacks.

Health Minister Mohammed Nasim, while pushing for action against the university, has wondered if the students there were taught to kill rather than study.

Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid, concerned at the students’ involvement in the attacks, recently asked educational institutions to inform the Upazila Education Officer if any student remains absent without information for up to 10 days.

The minister also said that the involvement of North South University students in the attack would be investigated and necessary action would be taken.

The university’s Deputy Director Belal Ahmed also said that the university has condemned the terror attack and mourned the loss of lives in the incident.