Rooney equals goal record in Man United rout of Reading
Published: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has equalled Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record as the holders eased into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a crushing win over Reading.
Jose Mourinho’s men put on a fine early display to take a two-goal lead before the break before Marcus Rashford netted a second half brace to top-off a commanding 4-0 home win.
As Charlton watched on from the stands, Rooney gave United a seventh-minute lead with an opportunist strike. The 31-year-old forward, however, missed chances later, squandering the opportunity to set a new record after Anthony Martial had added the second.
United, who left top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and France midfielder Paul Pogba on the bench, dominated throughout with some crisp passing at Old Trafford.
Rashford and Rooney went close early on before the latter found the net with his knee after a dazzling solo run by Martial and a fine lofted pass from Juan Mata.
Martial doubled United's lead in the 15th minute with a composed finish after a delightful one-two with Rooney, who squandered two gilt-edged opportunities in the second half with the crowd roaring him on to reach the 250-goal milestone.
Rooney shot wide from close range and goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi blocked his shot from two metres when a record-breaking goal seemed imminent.
Rashford, who wasted several opportunities after being given a rare start up front, sealed United's eighth successive victory in their 14-match unbeaten run with two quickfire goals in the closing stages.
The teenage forward made it 3-0 with a composed finish after a defence-splitting pass by Michael Carrick in the 75th minute before taking advantage of Al Habsi's howler to blast the ball home from point-blank range.
Later on Saturday, last season's runners-up Crystal Palace travel to League One Bolton Wanderers and Everton host champions Leicester City in an all Premier League clash.
Arsenal, like Manchester United bidding for a record 13th FA Cup victory, visit Championship Preston North End.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Messi and Suarez help Barca to down Eibar, Sevilla stage fightback
- Juve back to winning ways as Allegri throws caution to the wind
- Champion Kerber overpowered by Vandeweghe in Melbourne
- Ten-man Arsenal win thriller with last-gasp penalty
- Champions Leicester slip to new low at Southampton
- Federer shows iron-man quality to reach quarters
- Tears flow as Chapecoense return to action
- Frequent Iniesta injuries a problem for Barca coach Luis Enrique
- Napoli put another dent in Milan's Champions League hopes
- Top seed Andy Murray knocked out in Australian Open fourth round
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Ispahani Group boss Mirza Ali Behrouze Ispahani passes away
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Authorities shut Mymensingh Medical College indefinitely
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice