Rooney equals goal record in Man United rout of Reading
Published: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has equalled Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record as the holders eased into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a crushing win over Reading.
Jose Mourinho’s men put on a fine early display to take a two-goal lead before the break before Marcus Rashford netted a second half brace to top-off a commanding 4-0 home win.
As Charlton watched on from the stands, Rooney gave United a seventh-minute lead with an opportunist strike. The 31-year-old forward, however, missed chances later, squandering the opportunity to set a new record after Anthony Martial had added the second.
United, who left top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and France midfielder Paul Pogba on the bench, dominated throughout with some crisp passing at Old Trafford.
Rashford and Rooney went close early on before the latter found the net with his knee after a dazzling solo run by Martial and a fine lofted pass from Juan Mata.
Martial doubled United's lead in the 15th minute with a composed finish after a delightful one-two with Rooney, who squandered two gilt-edged opportunities in the second half with the crowd roaring him on to reach the 250-goal milestone.
Rooney shot wide from close range and goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi blocked his shot from two metres when a record-breaking goal seemed imminent.
Rashford, who wasted several opportunities after being given a rare start up front, sealed United's eighth successive victory in their 14-match unbeaten run with two quickfire goals in the closing stages.
The teenage forward made it 3-0 with a composed finish after a defence-splitting pass by Michael Carrick in the 75th minute before taking advantage of Al Habsi's howler to blast the ball home from point-blank range.
Later on Saturday, last season's runners-up Crystal Palace travel to League One Bolton Wanderers and Everton host champions Leicester City in an all Premier League clash.
Arsenal, like Manchester United bidding for a record 13th FA Cup victory, visit Championship Preston North End.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh want to secure ODI series win at Dambulla
- Clinical Giroud earns France 3-1 win in Luxembourg
- Ronaldo takes Portugal tally to 70 in Hungary stroll
- Date set for Messi appeal against tax fraud sentence
- Barcelona to name one of its stadiums after Johan Cruyff
- Spain ease to 4-1 victory over Israel to stay top of group
- Italy beat Albania in match marred by crowd trouble
- Superb Tamim, gritty Shakib fire Bangladesh to crushing win over Sri Lanka
- Mashrafe urges Mustafizur to shine against Sri Lanka in Dambulla
- Paulinho hat-trick keeps Brazil on road to Russia
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Police put on alert across country
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Police believe man killed in blast near airport is 'missing' Mirpur youth Ayad
- Commandos rescue trapped residents from Sylhet 'militant den'
- RAB Intelligence chief being taken to Singapore for treatment
- 'Neo-JMB operative’ Mizan confesses to supplying arms for Gulshan attack