Rooney equals goal record in Man United rout of Reading
Published: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has equalled Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record as the holders eased into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a crushing win over Reading.
Jose Mourinho’s men put on a fine early display to take a two-goal lead before the break before Marcus Rashford netted a second half brace to top-off a commanding 4-0 home win.
As Charlton watched on from the stands, Rooney gave United a seventh-minute lead with an opportunist strike. The 31-year-old forward, however, missed chances later, squandering the opportunity to set a new record after Anthony Martial had added the second.
United, who left top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and France midfielder Paul Pogba on the bench, dominated throughout with some crisp passing at Old Trafford.
Rashford and Rooney went close early on before the latter found the net with his knee after a dazzling solo run by Martial and a fine lofted pass from Juan Mata.
Martial doubled United's lead in the 15th minute with a composed finish after a delightful one-two with Rooney, who squandered two gilt-edged opportunities in the second half with the crowd roaring him on to reach the 250-goal milestone.
Rooney shot wide from close range and goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi blocked his shot from two metres when a record-breaking goal seemed imminent.
Rashford, who wasted several opportunities after being given a rare start up front, sealed United's eighth successive victory in their 14-match unbeaten run with two quickfire goals in the closing stages.
The teenage forward made it 3-0 with a composed finish after a defence-splitting pass by Michael Carrick in the 75th minute before taking advantage of Al Habsi's howler to blast the ball home from point-blank range.
Later on Saturday, last season's runners-up Crystal Palace travel to League One Bolton Wanderers and Everton host champions Leicester City in an all Premier League clash.
Arsenal, like Manchester United bidding for a record 13th FA Cup victory, visit Championship Preston North End.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- My dream has died, says sacked Ranieri
- Leicester panicked over Ranieri, says emotional Lineker
- Barca looking to rediscover top form at Atletico
- Barcelona and MHG join forces to build academy in China
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Actress Kabori's memoirs launched at Ekushey Book Fair
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well