Rooney equals goal record in Man United rout of Reading
Published: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 21:15:54.0 BdST
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has equalled Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record as the holders eased into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a crushing win over Reading.
Jose Mourinho’s men put on a fine early display to take a two-goal lead before the break before Marcus Rashford netted a second half brace to top-off a commanding 4-0 home win.
As Charlton watched on from the stands, Rooney gave United a seventh-minute lead with an opportunist strike. The 31-year-old forward, however, missed chances later, squandering the opportunity to set a new record after Anthony Martial had added the second.
United, who left top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and France midfielder Paul Pogba on the bench, dominated throughout with some crisp passing at Old Trafford.
Rashford and Rooney went close early on before the latter found the net with his knee after a dazzling solo run by Martial and a fine lofted pass from Juan Mata.
Martial doubled United's lead in the 15th minute with a composed finish after a delightful one-two with Rooney, who squandered two gilt-edged opportunities in the second half with the crowd roaring him on to reach the 250-goal milestone.
Rooney shot wide from close range and goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi blocked his shot from two metres when a record-breaking goal seemed imminent.
Rashford, who wasted several opportunities after being given a rare start up front, sealed United's eighth successive victory in their 14-match unbeaten run with two quickfire goals in the closing stages.
The teenage forward made it 3-0 with a composed finish after a defence-splitting pass by Michael Carrick in the 75th minute before taking advantage of Al Habsi's howler to blast the ball home from point-blank range.
Later on Saturday, last season's runners-up Crystal Palace travel to League One Bolton Wanderers and Everton host champions Leicester City in an all Premier League clash.
Arsenal, like Manchester United bidding for a record 13th FA Cup victory, visit Championship Preston North End.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Griezmann agent confirms 'concrete' move from United
- Bale set to miss semi-final with Atletico with calf injury
- Clasico win has revitalised Barca title bid - Luis Enrique
- All eyes on Stuttgart as Sharapova poised for return
- Serena thanks unborn baby after returning to world number one
- Chelsea still a team in transition, says Conte
- City need 'important' derby win against United, says Navas
- Ibrahimovic vows to return stronger from injury
- Arsenal want to win FA Cup for Wenger, says Ramsey
- Real’s title credentials to be tested at Riazor
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- SSC results date announced
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet
- China to invest $2 billion in Bangladesh construction materials sector
- 12,000 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants ready to leave Saudi Arabia
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Death penalties reduced to life term is imprisonment until death: AG
- India-owned BHEL gets $1.5 billion order to build Rampal Power Plant