George Lucas' $1 billion 'Star Wars' museum in Los Angeles
Published: 2017-01-11 11:41:29.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 11:41:29.0 BdST
“Star Wars" filmmaker George Lucas has settled on Los Angeles for the home of his $1 billion storytelling museum, after pulling the project from Chicago last year.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Tuesday that the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will be located in Exposition Park in downtown Los Angeles.
"I believed in the vision for the Lucas Museum, and we went after it with everything we have — because I know that LA is the ideal place for making sure that it touches the widest possible audience," Garcetti said in a statement, thanking Lucas and his wife, Mellody Hobson.
The museum was initially planned for Chicago, but Lucas ran into legal challenges from an open-spaces group and pulled the project. Garcetti immediately moved to woo the filmmaker to house the museum in Los Angeles.
The proposed museum, valued at $1 billion and funded by Lucas, would feature exhibitions of Lucas' collection of paintings, illustrations and digital art from the blockbuster "Star Wars" movie franchise he started in 1977.
"South Los Angeles's Promise Zone best positions the museum to have the greatest impact on the broader community, fulfilling our goal of inspiring, engaging and educating a broad and diverse visitorship," the museum's board of directors said in a statement.
The proposed site for the museum is next to the University of Southern California, where Lucas studied film and met future collaborators including Steven Spielberg.
Lucas sold his "Star Wars" franchise to Walt Disney Co in 2012 for $4 billion.
Disney rebooted the franchise with six new films, including a new trilogy in the space saga commencing with 2015's "The Force Awakens," and standalone stories such as December's "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Dangal star Zaira spars with India minister over comparison with girl in hijab
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan acquitted in weapons case
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Kawasaki dumps 'Apprentice' over Trump's continued involvement
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ premieres in Taipei
- Box Office: 'Hidden Figures' Dominates MLK Weekend
- Ringling Bros circus folding its tent after nearly 150 years
- Actors Johnny Depp, Amber Heard finalise bitter divorce
- Priyanka Chopra recovering after mishap on 'Quantico' set
- Michael Jackson spoof show scrapped after family complaints
- Uber raises fare price two months after Dhaka launch
- Dhaka city cleaning trucks gather dust in repair yard
- Private Toyota car found abandoned at Sherpur market
- Bangladesh home minister's son demands hanging of 'atheist' on Facebook
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- Two missing Gaibandha Awami League leaders 'remember nothing' on return
- RAB ‘framed, beat’ Germany-based Bangladeshi expat
- Southee takes five as Bangladesh dismissed for 289
- 'The work begins!': Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US president
- Trump, sworn in as US president, vows to put 'America First' in defiant speech