US comedian Jimmy Kimmel to host 2017 Oscars: Academy
Published: 2016-12-06 03:08:10.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-06 03:08:10.0 BdST
US comedian and talk show host Jimmy Kimmel will host the 2017 Oscars ceremony in February, organisers have said, taking on one of the trickiest jobs in show business.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed on Monday that Kimmel had been chosen after it was first reported by Hollywood trade publication Variety.
Kimmel, 49, who hosts ABC television's "Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel," will be a first-time host of the Oscars, the most prestigious night in the movie industry. He previously hosted the 2016 Emmy Awards for television and is a past host of the American Music Awards show.
The 2017 Oscars ceremony will take place in Los Angeles on Feb 26, and will be broadcast domestically on ABC.
"Yes, I am hosting the Oscars. This is not a prank. And if it is, my revenge on @TheAcademy will be terrible & sweet," Kimmel tweeted on Monday.
The Academy was unusually late in announcing who will host the 2017 ceremony, a deal which is normally sewn up by November.
The job is a difficult balancing act with competing goals of entertaining hundreds of A-list stars at the venue, as well as a worldwide TV audience, and moving along presentations for some 20 awards.
Kimmel follows Chris Rock, a black comedian who hosted the 2016 Oscars amid a controversy over the all-white acting nominee line-up and the wider lack of diversity in the industry. The show drew the lowest US television audience in eight years with just 34 million viewers.
Previous recent hosts have included TV star Neil Patrick Harris, comedian Ellen DeGeneres and "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Key nominations for the 2017 Oscars
- 'La La Land' leads Oscar nominations with 14 nods
- Man dies trying to catch a glimpse of SRK in Vadodara
- Dangal star Zaira spars with India minister over comparison with girl in hijab
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan acquitted in weapons case
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Kawasaki dumps 'Apprentice' over Trump's continued involvement
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ premieres in Taipei
- Box Office: 'Hidden Figures' Dominates MLK Weekend
- Ringling Bros circus folding its tent after nearly 150 years
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- No risk in using bamboo, wood as extra support in rail bridges: Ministry
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy