Patti Smith and a speech by proxy to fill Dylan void at Nobels
Published: 2016-12-06 03:19:03.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-06 03:19:03.0 BdST
Nobel literature laureate Bob Dylan will provide a speech and fellow American singer-songwriter Patti Smith will perform one of his best-known songs in his absence during Stockholm's prize celebrations, the awards body has said.
Smith will perform "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" at the Nobel banquet on Dec 10 while Dylan's speech would also be read out at the event, the Nobel Prize organisers said on Twitter on Monday.
Dylan said in the wake of being awarded the 8 million Swedish crown ($870,000) prize that he would accept the award but that he would not attend the ceremony in Stockholm.
Local news agency TT said the speech would be read by Swedish Academy member Horace Engdahl.
Other Nobel Prize winners who have not attended the prize ceremony include Britain's Harold Pinter and Elfriede Jelinek of Austria.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Knight Riders, Gauri Khan pulled up for forex rule violation
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- Rebooted Power Rangers return to big screen
- Harrison Ford called himself a 'schmuck' after plane incident
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Paul McCartney should wait to get back Beatles songs, Sony/ATV says
- Army para-commandos, SWAT launch assault on militant den in Sylhet's Shibbarhi
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Superb Tamim, gritty Shakib fire Bangladesh to crushing win over Sri Lanka
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- One killed in blast near Dhaka airport; police rule out 'suicide attack'
- Crocodile kills man at Barguna eco-park
- Army para-commandos, SWAT, police wait for final assault at Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Mashrafe urges Mustafizur to shine against Sri Lanka in Dambulla