Rajbarhi man killed in ‘shootout’ with police after being held
Rajbarhi Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-17 12:00:52.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-17 12:19:34.0 BdST
A youth, wanted in several cases of murder and robbery, has been killed in a ‘shootout’ with the police at Rajbarhi’s Pangsha Upazila after being detained by them.
Police took 32-year-old Moazzem Hossain in custody on Thursday before taking him along for a drive to recover firearms on Thursday night.
Pangsha Police OC Mofazzel Hossain said the shootout took place at Sharisha Union’s Naorha Bongram.
Moazzem was the son of Abdul Mazid Fakir who lives at the Upazila’s Patta village.
OC Mofazzel told bdnews24.com that police interrogated Moazzem after being taken into custody.
He added that assailants began firing shots at the police after they went to the spot to salvage the firearms buried under a tree.
“Police fired back. Moazze tried to flee from the car at that moment and was hit by a bullet fired by a miscreant,” he said.
“He was then taken to the Pangsha Upazila Health Complex for treatment where duty doctor pronounced him dead.”
According to the police, Moazzem was wanted for seven counts of murder, extortion and explosives case.
A ‘one-shooter’ gun, a bullet and two shells were recovered from the spot.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- EC secretary doubtful over using EVMs in general elections
- Police fire several dozen rubber bullets as SUST students clash with locals in Sylhet
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Third part of graphic novel ‘Mujib’ released
- PM Hasina returns home from Munich
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Court to deliver verdict on deaths of Tareque, Mishuk Feb 22
- Jhalakathi BCL leader held for ‘attempted grab of a house'
- Three victims of Barisal tanker explosion in critical conditions at DMCH
- Court hands death to man for murder in Manikganj
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi