Rajbarhi man killed in ‘shootout’ with police after being held
Rajbarhi Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-17 12:00:52.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-17 12:19:34.0 BdST
A youth, wanted in several cases of murder and robbery, has been killed in a ‘shootout’ with the police at Rajbarhi’s Pangsha Upazila after being detained by them.
Police took 32-year-old Moazzem Hossain in custody on Thursday before taking him along for a drive to recover firearms on Thursday night.
Pangsha Police OC Mofazzel Hossain said the shootout took place at Sharisha Union’s Naorha Bongram.
Moazzem was the son of Abdul Mazid Fakir who lives at the Upazila’s Patta village.
OC Mofazzel told bdnews24.com that police interrogated Moazzem after being taken into custody.
He added that assailants began firing shots at the police after they went to the spot to salvage the firearms buried under a tree.
“Police fired back. Moazze tried to flee from the car at that moment and was hit by a bullet fired by a miscreant,” he said.
“He was then taken to the Pangsha Upazila Health Complex for treatment where duty doctor pronounced him dead.”
According to the police, Moazzem was wanted for seven counts of murder, extortion and explosives case.
A ‘one-shooter’ gun, a bullet and two shells were recovered from the spot.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains