Five years on, home minister assures of justice for killers of journo couple Sagar, Runi
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-16 17:54:03.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-16 17:54:03.0 BdST
Investigators of the 2012 murders of journalist couple Sagar Sarwar and Meherun Runi are yet to find any lead, but Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal is still hopeful.
Speaking at an event in Dhaka on Thursday, he said the Rapid Action Battalion is on the case.
"We hope ... I am hopeful about the solving the mystery."
On the morning of Feb 12, 2012, Maasranga Television News Editor Sagar and ATN Bangla Senior Reporter Runi were found stabbed to death in the bedroom of their apartment in Dhaka's Razabazar.
After the gruesome killings, which shook the nation, Runi’s brother started a murder case with the Sher-e-Bangla Nagar police.
Then home minister Shahara Khatun had promised to catch the culprits within 48 hours.
The Detective Branch was given the job to investigate the murder, but the court transferred it to RAB after the detectives failed to find any lead in two months.
But five years on, RAB is still fumbling in the dark over the killings.
The investigating officer, who failed to submit his report to the court even after extending the deadline 46 times, has been summoned by the court earlier this month.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains