Five years on, home minister assures of justice for killers of journo couple Sagar, Runi
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-16 17:54:03.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-16 17:54:03.0 BdST
Investigators of the 2012 murders of journalist couple Sagar Sarwar and Meherun Runi are yet to find any lead, but Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal is still hopeful.
Speaking at an event in Dhaka on Thursday, he said the Rapid Action Battalion is on the case.
"We hope ... I am hopeful about the solving the mystery."
On the morning of Feb 12, 2012, Maasranga Television News Editor Sagar and ATN Bangla Senior Reporter Runi were found stabbed to death in the bedroom of their apartment in Dhaka's Razabazar.
After the gruesome killings, which shook the nation, Runi’s brother started a murder case with the Sher-e-Bangla Nagar police.
Then home minister Shahara Khatun had promised to catch the culprits within 48 hours.
The Detective Branch was given the job to investigate the murder, but the court transferred it to RAB after the detectives failed to find any lead in two months.
But five years on, RAB is still fumbling in the dark over the killings.
The investigating officer, who failed to submit his report to the court even after extending the deadline 46 times, has been summoned by the court earlier this month.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- EC secretary doubtful over using EVMs in general elections
- Police fire several dozen rubber bullets as SUST students clash with locals in Sylhet
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Third part of graphic novel ‘Mujib’ released
- PM Hasina returns home from Munich
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Court to deliver verdict on deaths of Tareque, Mishuk Feb 22
- Jhalakathi BCL leader held for ‘attempted grab of a house'
- Three victims of Barisal tanker explosion in critical conditions at DMCH
- Court hands death to man for murder in Manikganj
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi