Actor Kalyan Corraya arrested in journalist Zia hit-and-run case
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 23:47:00.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 00:05:09.0 BdST
Actor Kalyan Corraya has been arrested in connection with Prothom Alo photojournalist Zia Islam hit-and-run case.
The actor was arrested Tuesday night following a complaint lodged by Zia's employers.
Prothom Alo Manager (Security) Retd Major Sajjad Ul Kabir lodged the complaint on behalf of his organisation with the Kalabagan police.
The actor was arrested immediately afterwards, DMP Deputy Commissioner Maruf Hossain Sardar said.
Zia was hit by a car on the midnight of Monday. He was at first admitted to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital and later shifted to Apollo Hospital, Dhaka on Tuesday.
He is said to have suffered major injuries in his head, ribs and right leg and is reportedly unconscious.
Kalyan was already at the police station, having been summoned for questioning in connection with the incident.
“After Zia was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Kalyan visited the hospital around 1.30am.
“He told some journalists present there that his car hit Zia.
"Then he disappeared," the FIR says.
"Kalyan has been arrested based on allegations levelled against him in the FIR," Maruf Sardar told bdnews24.com
'I am innocent'
Earlier, in the evening, Kalyan posted a status on his Facebook page that read, "I am innocent."
When asked why he wrote that, he told bdnews24.com, "Brother, I am in deep trouble. Will speak later. I have no permission to speak."
When Zia was rushed to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital at first on Monday night, the actor, too, reached the hospital about the same time.
Kalyan maintains that he had rushed to the hospital to have his victim admitted.
He claimed his car was also involved in a road accident, but that took place at Tejgaon.
He explained his visit to the hospital saying that he had gone there to admit his victim.
"I had gone with my patient, they had gone with theirs."
Deputy Commissioner Maruf Sardar said police are examining the statement of the actor.
He told bdnews24.com, "Kalyan Corraya is not owning up to it. He says his car met with an accident in Tejgaon area. The matter will be investigated into."
Asked if Kalyan Corraya was involved in the accident, the OC said he is in the jail and police would speak to all sides, including the victim's.
Prothom Alo crime correspondent Komol Zoha Khan said Zia's right leg was broken, the ribs and head have sustained injury,
He said, she had not regained consciousness after Monday night.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- EC secretary doubtful over using EVMs in general elections
- Police fire several dozen rubber bullets as SUST students clash with locals in Sylhet
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Third part of graphic novel ‘Mujib’ released
- PM Hasina returns home from Munich
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Court to deliver verdict on deaths of Tareque, Mishuk Feb 22
- Jhalakathi BCL leader held for ‘attempted grab of a house'
- Three victims of Barisal tanker explosion in critical conditions at DMCH
- Court hands death to man for murder in Manikganj
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Humayun Ahmed's portrayal in Farooki's 'Doob' is objectionable, says Shaon
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday