Actor Kalyan Corraya arrested in journalist Zia hit-and-run case
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 23:47:00.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 00:05:09.0 BdST
Actor Kalyan Corraya has been arrested in connection with Prothom Alo photojournalist Zia Islam hit-and-run case.
The actor was arrested Tuesday night following a complaint lodged by Zia's employers.
Prothom Alo Manager (Security) Retd Major Sajjad Ul Kabir lodged the complaint on behalf of his organisation with the Kalabagan police.
The actor was arrested immediately afterwards, DMP Deputy Commissioner Maruf Hossain Sardar said.
Zia was hit by a car on the midnight of Monday. He was at first admitted to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital and later shifted to Apollo Hospital, Dhaka on Tuesday.
He is said to have suffered major injuries in his head, ribs and right leg and is reportedly unconscious.
Kalyan was already at the police station, having been summoned for questioning in connection with the incident.
“After Zia was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Kalyan visited the hospital around 1.30am.
“He told some journalists present there that his car hit Zia.
"Then he disappeared," the FIR says.
"Kalyan has been arrested based on allegations levelled against him in the FIR," Maruf Sardar told bdnews24.com
'I am innocent'
Earlier, in the evening, Kalyan posted a status on his Facebook page that read, "I am innocent."
When asked why he wrote that, he told bdnews24.com, "Brother, I am in deep trouble. Will speak later. I have no permission to speak."
When Zia was rushed to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital at first on Monday night, the actor, too, reached the hospital about the same time.
Kalyan maintains that he had rushed to the hospital to have his victim admitted.
He claimed his car was also involved in a road accident, but that took place at Tejgaon.
He explained his visit to the hospital saying that he had gone there to admit his victim.
"I had gone with my patient, they had gone with theirs."
Deputy Commissioner Maruf Sardar said police are examining the statement of the actor.
He told bdnews24.com, "Kalyan Corraya is not owning up to it. He says his car met with an accident in Tejgaon area. The matter will be investigated into."
Asked if Kalyan Corraya was involved in the accident, the OC said he is in the jail and police would speak to all sides, including the victim's.
Prothom Alo crime correspondent Komol Zoha Khan said Zia's right leg was broken, the ribs and head have sustained injury,
He said, she had not regained consciousness after Monday night.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors