Hindu goddess idol vandalised
Published: 2013-03-16 06:34:41.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-16 12:04:01.0 BdST
‘Miscreants’ vandalised a Saraswati idol at a temple beside the residence of ruling-party Member of Parliament (MP) Mohammad Atiur Rahman Atique in Sherpur city’s Madhabpur.
The ‘Madhabpur Puja Temple’ committee informed the police about the incident that took place on Friday night.
Hindus have been offering prayers at this temple for the past 77 years, said the temple committee Chief Dilip Kumar Paul. “Vandalism was conducted to dent the communal harmony.”
Paul demanded punishment for the perpetrators.
He,however, did not blame anyone specifically for the sabotage.
“Whoever is responsible… they will be identified and arrested,” said Sherpur Sadar Police Station Officer in-Charge Mazharul Karim.
He visited the temple on Saturday morning.
Suspected Jamaat-e-Islami activists had been carrying out vandalism and attacks on the Hindus in several areas of Bangladesh over the issue of trial of war criminals.
One Hindu was reportedly hacked to death during the attacks.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Iran says its pilgrims will not attend Hajj in Saudi Arabia
- Awami League trashes Safadi-Joy meeting report, asks BBC Bangla to be careful
- Mustafizur returns for Hyderabad in IPL final against Bangalore
- Gold prices drop by Tk 1,516 in Bangladesh after going up five times
- Sunrisers Hyderabad recruit Mustafizur Rahman in IPL draft
- BNP chief Khaleda charged in court in two more cases over 2015 blockade violence
- Five UN peacekeepers killed in Mali attack