7 policemen injured in Rajshahi Shibir attack
Published: 2013-02-14 06:52:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-14 10:29:10.0 BdST
Islami Chhatra Shibir activists have attacked police in Rajshahi’s Bahrampur and Kantakhali areas leaving seven of them injured.
Police intervened when Shibir activists tried to block a road in the Bahrampur area around 10am on Thursday, Officer-in-Charge of Rajpara Police Station Zillur Rahman said.
The pro-Jamaat-e-Islami student front activists then lobbed crude bombs at police injuring three of them, Rahman said.
The injured were rushed to the Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH) for treatment, the OC said.
Around the same time, Shibir activists brought out a flash procession in the Kantakhali Bazar area under the banner of Olamaye Mashayekh demanding release of Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee and tried to block the Dhaka-Rajshahi Highway, Matihar police OC Abdus Sobhan said.
They exploded several crude bombs to create panic after police intervened and hurled brickbats at them, Sobhan said.
The clashes left four policemen, including the OC, injured. Sobhan spoke to bdnews24.com as he was being taken to the RMCH.
He said police fired a number of teargas shells, around 500 rounds of rubber bullets and several from shotguns to take control of the situation.
At least 25 Jamaat-Shibir activists were injured in the clashes, Shibir’s Rajshahi University spokesman Mohsin Alam Saimun told bdnews24.
He claimed four of the injured were hit by bullets fired from shotguns.
Rajshahi Detective Branch police OC Alamgir Hossain said police have detained 22 Jamaat-Shibir activists after the clashes. Several of them were nabbed from the spot while others were caught during various raids in the city.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CHTC demands judicial probe into Romel's death in letter to home minister
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- PM Hasina asks BNP for evidence of Haor radiation claim
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece