7 policemen injured in Rajshahi Shibir attack
Published: 2013-02-14 06:52:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-14 10:29:10.0 BdST
Islami Chhatra Shibir activists have attacked police in Rajshahi’s Bahrampur and Kantakhali areas leaving seven of them injured.
Police intervened when Shibir activists tried to block a road in the Bahrampur area around 10am on Thursday, Officer-in-Charge of Rajpara Police Station Zillur Rahman said.
The pro-Jamaat-e-Islami student front activists then lobbed crude bombs at police injuring three of them, Rahman said.
The injured were rushed to the Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH) for treatment, the OC said.
Around the same time, Shibir activists brought out a flash procession in the Kantakhali Bazar area under the banner of Olamaye Mashayekh demanding release of Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee and tried to block the Dhaka-Rajshahi Highway, Matihar police OC Abdus Sobhan said.
They exploded several crude bombs to create panic after police intervened and hurled brickbats at them, Sobhan said.
The clashes left four policemen, including the OC, injured. Sobhan spoke to bdnews24.com as he was being taken to the RMCH.
He said police fired a number of teargas shells, around 500 rounds of rubber bullets and several from shotguns to take control of the situation.
At least 25 Jamaat-Shibir activists were injured in the clashes, Shibir’s Rajshahi University spokesman Mohsin Alam Saimun told bdnews24.
He claimed four of the injured were hit by bullets fired from shotguns.
Rajshahi Detective Branch police OC Alamgir Hossain said police have detained 22 Jamaat-Shibir activists after the clashes. Several of them were nabbed from the spot while others were caught during various raids in the city.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Messi says he is retiring from international football
- Two ‘killers’ of SP Babul’s wife ‘confess’ in Chittagong court
- Chile beat Argentina in shootout to retain Copa America title
- Factbox: Copa America finals since 1993
- 4.7 magnitude tremor shakes southern region of Bangladesh
- Dhaka-Chittagong train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ launched
- Sweden urges Bangladesh’s support to candidature in election to UN Security Council
- 4-lane Dhaka-Ctg Highway opens before Eid
- Eid-time business hit by flyover construction in Moghbazar-Mouchak
- Cabinet rejects abolition of fifth grade PEC exam