HC moved for owners’ arrest
Published: 2013-01-29 16:40:26.0 BdST Updated: 2013-01-29 16:40:26.0 BdST
The High Court was moved on Tuesday to order authorities to arrest owners of the two readymade garment factories where fire incidents left at least 118 people dead in two months.
The petitioner said the bench of Justices AHM Shamsuddin Choudhury and Mahmudul Hoque might hear the plea on Wednesday.
The petition has sought orders for arrest of the owner of Tazreen Fashions and three directors of Smart Fashions ‘within 24 hours’ and payment of compensations to the families ‘within 72 hours’.
It expects rules on the Labour and Employment Secretary, Inspector General of Police, Dhaka Deputy Commissioner, Ashulia and Mohammadpur Police Station Officers-in-charge, Smart Fashions Directors Md. Sharif Ahmed, Zakir Hossain and Sri Shubhash, Tazreen Fashions owner Delwar Hossain and BGMEA.
Seven female workers died on Saturday from suffocation and stampede following a fire that broke out in the two-storied factory of Smart Fashions in Mohammadpur’s Beribandh area in the capital.
On Nov 24, at least 111 workers died in a deadly blaze in Tazreen Fashions factory in Ashulia on the outskirts of Dhaka city.
A case has been filed against the Smart Fashions directors by the father of a worker who died in the blaze.
Over Tazreen Fashions incident, a probe committee formed by the Ministry of Home Affairs recommended lodging a case against the factory owner. However, Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir later said arrest of the owner would bear no fruit.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Authorities issue warning for water transport amid bad weather condition
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- BNP designate 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country