Mango tree, national tree
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2010-11-15 10:06:21.0 BdST Updated: 2010-11-15 10:06:21.0 BdST
The government has decided to declare Mango tree as the national tree of Bangladesh.
A spokesman said the decision was taken at a regular Cabinet meeting. "We had no national tree. So the Mango tree has been declared as the national tree," Abul Kalam Azad, press secretary to the prime minister, told reporters after the Monday meeting.
The cabinet also finalised the draft of Forest Act-2010 (amendment) stipulating a maximum of three years' imprisonment and fines worth Tk 50,000 as the highest penalty for violating the law, Azad added.
Moreover, the meeting also approved a proposal to amend the Bar Council Act. Once decided, lawyers will be able to become members of more than one bar and execute their voting rights.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- Supreme Court rejects State’s appeal on CrPC Sections 54, 167
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- Why no damages for detention even after acquittal, asks High Court
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Hard to call Section 54 bad: Law Minister Anisul Huq