Police probing ‘own negligence’ in preventing Nusrat murder

Police have launched an investigation into alleged negligence of its own personnel in preventing the fatal arson attack on Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi.

Feni Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 17 April 2019, 10:47 PM
Updated : 17 April 2019, 10:47 PM

The Police Headquarters have formed a five-strong team headed by Deputy Inspector General (media and planning) SM Ruhul Amin for the investigation, Ruhul told reporters on Wednesday after visiting the madrasa at Sonagazi where Nusrat came under attack on Apr 6.    

The committee will check whether there had been negligence on the part of police before and after the attack and what can be done to prevent such incidents, the DIG said.

The other members of his team are two superintendents of police, an additional SP, and an inspector. 

The investigators will speak to Nusrat’s family and teachers and students of her madrasa on Thursday, Ruhul said.

He added that they will submit "a fully unbiased report".

Nusrat died undergoing treatment on Apr 10, prompting the government top brass, including Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, to pledge justice for the teenager.

Police had also transferred Sonagazi Police Station OC Moazzem Hossain as a punitive action for his alleged negligence in preventing the murder of Nusrat.

She alleged before her death that she was burnt in reprisal for sexual abuse charges she had brought against the madrasa’s principal SM Siraj-ud-Daula.

Siraj was already in jail in a case started by Nusrat’s mother over the alleged sexual assault when she came under attack.

But the Police Bureau of Investigation, or PBI, which is investigating the murder, said Siraj had orchestrated the attack from jail.   

Former OC Moazzem has also been sued for spreading a video on social media after recording a statement from Nusrat at the police station.

Toufique Imrose Khalidi
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher