North Korea says it will test missiles 'weekly' despite US warning
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-04-17 23:32:31.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-18 00:13:46.0 BdST
North Korea has defiantly said it will continue missile tests, even 'weekly', amid US Vice President Mike Pence's warning that recent American strikes in Syria and Afghanistan showed the resolve of President Donald Trump and it should not be tested.
In an interview with the BBC on Monday, Vice Foreign Minister Han Song-Ryol said, "We'll be conducting more missile tests on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis."
Speaking to the BBC's John Sudworth in Pyongyang, he warned of an 'all out war' if the US took military action.
Earlier in the day, Pence and South Korean acting president Hwang Kyo-ahn, in a joint appearance, said they would strengthen anti-North Korea defences by moving ahead with the early deployment of the THAAD missile-defence system, Reuters news agency reported.
A North Korean navy truck carries the 'Pukkuksong' submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) during a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father, Kim Il Sung in Pyongyang, April 15, 2017. Reuters
Pence is on the first stop of a four-nation Asia tour intended to show America's allies, and remind its adversaries, that the Trump administration was not turning its back on the increasingly volatile region.
"Just in the past two weeks, the world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new president in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan," Pence said and added, "North Korea would do well not to test his resolve or the strength of the armed forces of the United States in this region."
The US Navy this month struck a Syrian airfield with 59 Tomahawk missiles after a chemical weapons attack.
Intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) are driven past the stand with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other high ranking officials during a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father Kim Il Sung, in Pyongyang April 15, 2017. Reuters
North Korea's KCNA news agency on Monday carried a letter from leader Kim Jong Un to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad marking the 70th anniversary of Syria’s independence, according to Reuters.
"I express again a strong support and alliance to the Syrian government and its people for its work of justice, condemning the United States’ recent violent invasive act against your country," Kim said.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un looks at a rocket warhead tip after a simulated test of atmospheric re-entry of a ballistic missile, at an unidentified location in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on March 15, 2016. REUTERS/KCNA
"All options are on the table to achieve the objectives and ensure the stability of the people of this country," he told reporters as tinny propaganda music floated across from the North Korean side of the so-called demilitarised zone (DMZ).
"There was a period of strategic patience but the era of strategic patience is over," he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Saudi Arabia arrests 46 suspects over 2016 Medina attack
- Iran satellite TV head shot dead in Istanbul: Dogan news
- Iran's leader dismisses Rouhani's detente policy ahead of vote
- US-backed militias claim big advance against IS in Syria's Tabqa
- Labour gains in British polls, but May's party keeps strong lead
- Pope calls for end to violence, respect for human rights, in Venezuela
- US Marines back in Helmand as Afghanistan 'stalemate' continues
- Five killed in Texas tornadoes; rains, winds lash US midsection: media
- Trump invites Philippines' Duterte to Washington, WH says
- South Korea says US reaffirms it will pay THAAD costs; joint drills wrap up
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister
- Bangladesh actor Shakib Khan apologises to film fraternity after boycott
- BGB recovers more than 1.2 million Yaba tablets in Teknaf