Syria's al-Bab largely under control of Turkey-backed rebels, Turkish PM says
Published: 2017-02-14 18:20:08.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-14 18:20:17.0 BdST
Turkey-backed rebels have largely taken control of the Syrian town of al-Bab from Islamic State militants, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Tuesday.
"Al-Bab has been largely taken under control. Our aim is to prevent the opening of corridors from territories controlled by terrorist organisations to Turkey," he said while speaking to members of his ruling AK Party in parliament.
The Syrian rebels, backed by Turkish special forces, tanks and warplanes, swept into northern Syria in August in an operation, dubbed "Euphrates Shield" by Ankara, to push Islamic State from Turkey's border and stop the advance of Kurdish fighters.
The rebels have been pressing a major offensive on al-Bab, 30 km (20 miles) south of the Turkish border for weeks. The advance risks putting them in direct conflict with Syrian government forces who are closing in on the city from the south.
President Tayyip Erdogan and other Turkish leaders have been saying for weeks that the al-Bab offensive was nearing an end.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Nearly 150 migrants feared dead after boat sinks, sole survivor says
- 'No turning back': PM May triggers 'historic' Brexit
- Running a marathon may cause kidney injury, finds a study
- Human waste found in Coca-Cola cans, probe launched
- British PM Theresa May fires starting gun on Brexit
- Jordan's King Abdullah says two-state solution basis of Middle East peace
- Iraqi forces battle toward landmark Mosul mosque
- Malaysia inspects N Korean coal ship for possible UN sanctions breach
- Trump's funding request for US border wall hits snag among some Republicans
- Trudeau to introduce law to legalise marijuana in Canada: Media
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bombs turned Atia Mahal into a death trap, says army after Operation Twilight
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- No cause for satisfaction over 'successes in a few anti-terror raids', says BNP chief Khaleda
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh