Saudi govt says no plans to destroy Prophet Muhammad’s tomb
Published: 2014-09-05 21:54:00.0 BdST Updated: 2014-09-05 23:10:49.0 BdST
The Saudi government has denied claims made in a British newspaper's report that it plans to destroy the tomb of the Prophet Muhammad in Madinah.
Saudi Gazette and Arab News among other Middle Eastern news outlets reported this on Thursday quoting Ahmed Al-Mansouri, the media spokesman for government agency the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques.
“This is the personal opinion of a researcher, who had expressed his views in a study, and it does not reflect the views of the presidency or the Kingdom,” Al-Mansouri said, according to reports.
“What is being circulated in the media about the chamber where the Prophet’s grave is situated at the Prophet’s Mosque is related to a special study carried out by a researcher.
“It does not represent either the opinion of the presidency or the directive of the state, which has utmost keenness in serving the two holy mosques and maintaining their sanctity,” the spokesman said.
“Researchers and various outlets of media should not engage in publishing reports that create confusion and incite sedition.
“The reports should be based on wisdom, objectivity, truthfulness and (devoid) of exaggeration especially in those matters related to the holy mosques,” he added.
On Tuesday, British dailies The Independent and Daily Mail said in a report that a proposal to remove the tomb of the Prophet Muhammad in Madinah had been sent to the Presidency.
Mansouri said the presidency was discussing the prospect of taking legal action against the Independent with their legal consultants.
Independent report 'mistranslation'?
Mowafaq Al-Nowaiser, deputy editor-in-chief of the Makkah-based “Makkah” newspaper, told Al Arabiya channel that the British daily's report was a 'theft' and 'mistranslation' of an Arabic article that appeared in the daily on Aug 25 on the subject.
The report was carried in news outlets across the world, especially in Muslim countries, sparking protests.
In Bangladesh, the Sunni movement Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat demanded explanation from the Saudi government and announced a plan to besiege the Saudi embassy.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Brazil protesters, police clash in first general strike in decades
- I won’t run for president because of my children: Michelle Obama
- US EPA says website undergoing makeover to match Trump, Pruitt views
- North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure
- Trump says he thought being president would be easier than his old life
- US first-quarter growth weakest in three years as consumer spending falters
- China warns situation with N Korea at 'critical point'
- Brazil cities paralyzed by nationwide strike against austerity
- Israel planning 15,000 more settlement homes in Jerusalem
- Thai baby's murder on Facebook: The missing hours before video was removed
- Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir 'will return' his father's 1971 award to Bangladesh
- Oxford Union invites President Hamid but gets no response
- Australia will tour Bangladesh in late August, says BCB chief
- Police probe finds detectives acted 'unethically' in Kafrul club raid
- Tofail says foreign buyers single out Bangladesh’s labour safety issues
- Bangladesh Islamist groups plan new alliances for next election
- Chapainawabganj terror den: 3 bodies 'too mangled' for identification
- Five-year-old Sumaiya found after 24 days
- Indian SC’s ‘no’ to ration card will exclude 8m Bangladeshis from Assam’s NRC, says NGO
- Blame game between judiciary, executive will weaken state, warns Hasina