Google Bangladesh domain hacked
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-20 13:34:34.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-20 14:43:05.0 BdST
Google’s Bangladesh domain has come under a cyber attack.
Internet users have been failing to access the search engine using Google Chrome since Tuesday morning.
A black screen appears when ‘google.com.bd’ is typed into Chrome's browser.
The message on the screen says 'Google Bangladesh STAMPED by Team Pak Cyber Attackers.
'The hackers have identified themselves as 'Faisal 1337'. A Facebook profile and Hotmail address were also mentioned. The notice also says 'security is just an illusion.'
Many have been sharing screen shots of the message on social media websites.
Search queries from Bangladesh are automatically taken through ‘google.com.bd’.
Google, after the cyber attack, has allowed Bangladesh users access to 'www.google.com'.
“It has been compromised. Some hacker group … they are claiming they did it,” said Sumon Ahmed Sabir, chief strategy officer for Fibre At Home told bdnews24.com.
All search queries from Bangladesh go through the gateway of Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited or BTCL, he said.
The hackers have redirected the information for ‘google.com.bd’ on BTCL’s DNS entry, he said. So Google users have been landing in other pages.
State-owned Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Ltd (BTCL) said that it has been fixed.
"There had been a problem, which has been fixed," Director (PR) Mir Mohammad Morshed told bdnews24.com around 2:30pm.
However, google.com.bd is still inaccessible.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US trade commission to probe Nokia complaint against Apple
- Samsung Elec says battery caused Note 7 fires, may delay new phone launch
- Impact of job-stealing robots a growing concern at Davos
- Uber to invest more than $60 million in Sao Paulo support center
- South Korean court dismisses arrest warrant for Samsung chief
- Facebook's virtual-reality tech was not stolen, Zuckerberg testifies
- Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year
- China's Baidu opens augmented reality lab to boost falling profits
- Samsung Electronics probe finds battery was main cause of Note 7 fires: Source
- Startup investors fret over risks of mass data collection
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- No risk in using bamboo, wood as extra support in rail bridges: Ministry
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy