Google Bangladesh domain hacked
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-20 13:34:34.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-20 14:43:05.0 BdST
Google’s Bangladesh domain has come under a cyber attack.
Internet users have been failing to access the search engine using Google Chrome since Tuesday morning.
A black screen appears when ‘google.com.bd’ is typed into Chrome's browser.
The message on the screen says 'Google Bangladesh STAMPED by Team Pak Cyber Attackers.
'The hackers have identified themselves as 'Faisal 1337'. A Facebook profile and Hotmail address were also mentioned. The notice also says 'security is just an illusion.'
Many have been sharing screen shots of the message on social media websites.
Search queries from Bangladesh are automatically taken through ‘google.com.bd’.
Google, after the cyber attack, has allowed Bangladesh users access to 'www.google.com'.
“It has been compromised. Some hacker group … they are claiming they did it,” said Sumon Ahmed Sabir, chief strategy officer for Fibre At Home told bdnews24.com.
All search queries from Bangladesh go through the gateway of Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited or BTCL, he said.
The hackers have redirected the information for ‘google.com.bd’ on BTCL’s DNS entry, he said. So Google users have been landing in other pages.
State-owned Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Ltd (BTCL) said that it has been fixed.
"There had been a problem, which has been fixed," Director (PR) Mir Mohammad Morshed told bdnews24.com around 2:30pm.
However, google.com.bd is still inaccessible.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Germany blocked Russian hacking attacks in 2016
- Twitter explores subscription-based option for first time
- YouTube's bid to grab TV dollars imperiled by advertiser revolt'
- Apple drives further into Facebook, Snap territory with video app
- Twitter suspended more than 636,000 accounts since 2015 to tackle extremism
- G20 to jointly fight bank sector hacking
- US charges Russian spies, hackers in massive Yahoo hack
- Justice Department to announce indictments in massive Yahoo hack: source
- Intel's $15bn purchase of Mobileye shakes up driverless car sector
- Smart condo conundrum: Talk to appliances, or text them?
- Army para-commandos, SWAT launch assault on militant den in Sylhet's Shibbarhi
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Superb Tamim, gritty Shakib fire Bangladesh to crushing win over Sri Lanka
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- One killed in blast near Dhaka airport; police rule out 'suicide attack'
- Crocodile kills man at Barguna eco-park
- Army para-commandos, SWAT, police wait for final assault at Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Mashrafe urges Mustafizur to shine against Sri Lanka in Dambulla