Google Bangladesh domain hacked
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-20 13:34:34.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-20 14:43:05.0 BdST
Google’s Bangladesh domain has come under a cyber attack.
Internet users have been failing to access the search engine using Google Chrome since Tuesday morning.
A black screen appears when ‘google.com.bd’ is typed into Chrome's browser.
The message on the screen says 'Google Bangladesh STAMPED by Team Pak Cyber Attackers.
'The hackers have identified themselves as 'Faisal 1337'. A Facebook profile and Hotmail address were also mentioned. The notice also says 'security is just an illusion.'
Many have been sharing screen shots of the message on social media websites.
Search queries from Bangladesh are automatically taken through ‘google.com.bd’.
Google, after the cyber attack, has allowed Bangladesh users access to 'www.google.com'.
“It has been compromised. Some hacker group … they are claiming they did it,” said Sumon Ahmed Sabir, chief strategy officer for Fibre At Home told bdnews24.com.
All search queries from Bangladesh go through the gateway of Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited or BTCL, he said.
The hackers have redirected the information for ‘google.com.bd’ on BTCL’s DNS entry, he said. So Google users have been landing in other pages.
State-owned Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Ltd (BTCL) said that it has been fixed.
"There had been a problem, which has been fixed," Director (PR) Mir Mohammad Morshed told bdnews24.com around 2:30pm.
However, google.com.bd is still inaccessible.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Hackers exploited Word flaw for months while Microsoft investigated
- Uber looks to soar with flying taxis by 2020
- Bose headphones spy on listeners: lawsuit
- Inspired by Pokemon Go, Facebook pushes augmented reality
- Facebook shareholders propose reports on 'fake news', pay equality
- China live streaming: Would-be internet stars boost billion-dollar market
- Cyber attack on Union Bank of India similar to Bangladesh heist: WSJ
- Google promises to open merchant account in Bangladesh
- Computer hack sets off 156 emergency sirens across Dallas
- YouTube tweaks ad strategy to curb content stealing
- 'Operation Eagle Hunt' on: Final appeal to militants to surrender
- Hillary Clinton’s aides threatened me with tax audit: Sajeeb Wazed Joy
- Commerce Minister Tofail hints at 'conspiracy' behind Dollar gaining against Taka
- Cameron ‘proud’ of Bangladesh, says ‘sorry’ for not visiting as prime minister
- Housewife bites off alleged rapist's tongue in Feni
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Hot, humid weather may continue for two more days, says Met office
- Actor Vinod Khanna dies at 70 from cancer
- Five-year-old Sumaiya speaks about her 'abduction'
- Unite to fight against violent ideology of terrorism, ex-PM Cameron says from Dhaka