Euro 2016 generated $1.22 bn boost for France: study
Published: 2017-01-11 21:08:21.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 21:08:21.0 BdST
Last year's European Championship football tournament generated a 1.22 billion euro ($1.3 billion) boost for host France, a study commissioned by the French government showed on Wednesday.
It said that 2.5 million fans attended the games even as France extended a state of emergency and intelligence agencies warned of the threat of militant attacks during the month-long tournament.
The report, unveiled by the Centre of Law and Economics of Sport and the Keneo agency, said fans spent an average of 154 euros per day during their average 7.9 day stays - with just over a third of that amount being spent on accommodation.
According to the document, 75 million euros, including 70 million in VAT, went to the French state.
Organisers UEFA were exempted from taxation in 2014 but French sports minister Patrick Kanner said that it remained a "good operation economically".
"They did not pay taxes but they paid 20 million euros to rent stadiums, 20 million euros to finance the cities and five million euros for the fan zones," he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Wenger astonished by Sutton's fight after FA Cup win
- Man United's Rooney could miss League Cup final with muscle injury
- Isco ready to walk out on Real Madrid - reports
- Pique annoyed by Barca fans' booing of coach Luis Enrique
- Middle finger gesture costs Bayern's Ancelotti 5,000 euros
- Bangladesh see off Nepal to storm into Rollball World Cup semifinals
- Ton up for Walcott as Arsenal end Sutton's dream Cup run
- Real Madrid expect Ramos boost for Valencia trip
- Neymar, Barca, Santos to stand trial after losing appeals
- Barca president Bartomeu and Iniesta back Luis Enrique
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings