Euro 2016 generated $1.22 bn boost for France: study
Published: 2017-01-11 21:08:21.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 21:08:21.0 BdST
Last year's European Championship football tournament generated a 1.22 billion euro ($1.3 billion) boost for host France, a study commissioned by the French government showed on Wednesday.
It said that 2.5 million fans attended the games even as France extended a state of emergency and intelligence agencies warned of the threat of militant attacks during the month-long tournament.
The report, unveiled by the Centre of Law and Economics of Sport and the Keneo agency, said fans spent an average of 154 euros per day during their average 7.9 day stays - with just over a third of that amount being spent on accommodation.
According to the document, 75 million euros, including 70 million in VAT, went to the French state.
Organisers UEFA were exempted from taxation in 2014 but French sports minister Patrick Kanner said that it remained a "good operation economically".
"They did not pay taxes but they paid 20 million euros to rent stadiums, 20 million euros to finance the cities and five million euros for the fan zones," he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Zidane dismisses Real criticism ahead of Cup clash at Celta
- Venus reaches first Melbourne Park semi in 14 years
- Coach Hathurusingha sees progress in Bangladesh’s winless New Zealand tour
- Back to the future as Federer storms into Melbourne semis
- Messi and Suarez help Barca to down Eibar, Sevilla stage fightback
- Juve back to winning ways as Allegri throws caution to the wind
- Champion Kerber overpowered by Vandeweghe in Melbourne
- Ten-man Arsenal win thriller with last-gasp penalty
- Champions Leicester slip to new low at Southampton
- Federer shows iron-man quality to reach quarters
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas coming to Dhaka