Rony apologises for assault
Published: 2013-07-20 18:16:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-21 00:00:05.0 BdST
Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony apologised for assaulting two television journalists on Saturday.
Independent TV journalist Imtiaz Momin Sony and cameraman Mohsin Mukul were beaten up on Saturday noon at Rony’s office in Meherba Plaza of Topkhana Road.
The journalists went to his office to collect news for the television channel’s crime-based programme ‘Talash’.
Imtiaz Momin Sony told bdnews24.com, “Our Talash team had information that Golam Maula Rony will give Tk 20 million to a government official for a tender. So we went there to interview him. At one point of the interview, he became agitated and started assaulting us.”
Their camera and microphone were also smashed, he said.
Leaders of the journalist union rushed to the site and after their intervention the MP apologised to the injured journalists.
Rony said he would give compensation for the damaged camera and pay for the treatment of the assaulted journalists.
Dhaka Union of Journalists general secretary Shaban Mahmud after the meeting said, “The incident took place due to a misunderstanding.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP warns of polls boycott if new EC not 'capable'
- BNP sums up Awami League council as ruling party’s ‘lust for power’
- Awami League names secretaries for Central Working Committee
- Hasina asks grassroots Awami League leaders to start work with focus on next election
- Syed Ashraf takes leave to holiday in London
- Obaidul Quader says being AL general secretary is highest recognition of political career
- All eyes on Obaidul Quader, Syed Ashraf after Monday's Cabinet meeting
- Hasina re-elected as Awami League president, Obaidul Quader new general secretary
- Sajeeb Wazed Joy expresses his reluctance to hold post in Awami League central body
- Not attending Awami League's Council right decision, says BNP leader Rizvi
- Bangladesh teen accused of provoking schoolgirl's suicide hangs himself
- England cricket team’s Bangladesh tour a watershed moment for world cricket: ECB CEO
- New survey finds TB in Bangladesh lesser than WHO estimates
- Police deny RAB claim that Sarwar Jahan was Neo-JMB chief
- Bangladesh asks Canada for effective mechanism to deport Bangabandhu killer Noor
- CNG refuelling station owners call strike from Oct 30 protesting rise in lease charge
- Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur looks to celebrate his 50th Test with win over England
- JSC, JDC exam: Nahid says ‘fake question paper sells at up to Tk 300,000’
- Malaysian MDR-TB survivor thanks Bangladesh for treatment breakthrough
- Cyclone 'Kyant' across Bangladesh