Rony apologises for assault
Published: 2013-07-20 18:16:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-21 00:00:05.0 BdST
Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony apologised for assaulting two television journalists on Saturday.
Independent TV journalist Imtiaz Momin Sony and cameraman Mohsin Mukul were beaten up on Saturday noon at Rony’s office in Meherba Plaza of Topkhana Road.
The journalists went to his office to collect news for the television channel’s crime-based programme ‘Talash’.
Imtiaz Momin Sony told bdnews24.com, “Our Talash team had information that Golam Maula Rony will give Tk 20 million to a government official for a tender. So we went there to interview him. At one point of the interview, he became agitated and started assaulting us.”
Their camera and microphone were also smashed, he said.
Leaders of the journalist union rushed to the site and after their intervention the MP apologised to the injured journalists.
Rony said he would give compensation for the damaged camera and pay for the treatment of the assaulted journalists.
Dhaka Union of Journalists general secretary Shaban Mahmud after the meeting said, “The incident took place due to a misunderstanding.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- Proof or no proof, graft allegation was there in Padma Bridge project: BNP
- New EC should be accepted by all: Prof Emajuddin
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Indian HC organises visa camp for Bangladesh armed forces family members
- 'Only two percent of Sheikh Hasina'
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday