Rony apologises for assault
Published: 2013-07-20 18:16:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-21 00:00:05.0 BdST
Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony apologised for assaulting two television journalists on Saturday.
Independent TV journalist Imtiaz Momin Sony and cameraman Mohsin Mukul were beaten up on Saturday noon at Rony’s office in Meherba Plaza of Topkhana Road.
The journalists went to his office to collect news for the television channel’s crime-based programme ‘Talash’.
Imtiaz Momin Sony told bdnews24.com, “Our Talash team had information that Golam Maula Rony will give Tk 20 million to a government official for a tender. So we went there to interview him. At one point of the interview, he became agitated and started assaulting us.”
Their camera and microphone were also smashed, he said.
Leaders of the journalist union rushed to the site and after their intervention the MP apologised to the injured journalists.
Rony said he would give compensation for the damaged camera and pay for the treatment of the assaulted journalists.
Dhaka Union of Journalists general secretary Shaban Mahmud after the meeting said, “The incident took place due to a misunderstanding.”
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- SP Babul Aktar being questioned, says home minister
- Superintendent Babul Aktar says he was called to discuss his wife’s murder
- Dhaka-Chittagong train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ launched
- New train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ to start operating on Dhaka-Chittagong route from Saturday
- Three die, several injured as elevator falls causing wall collapse, fire in Uttara
- Bangladesh gets AIIB’s first loan for power project
- Death toll in Uttara elevator mishap rises to six
- Extended nine-day Eid vacation as Jul 4 announced as holiday
- ‘Three more bags’ in Dhaka's Uttara canal a week after arms haul
- Four Mumbaikars give rare blood to save Dhaka man