Rony apologises for assault
Published: 2013-07-20 18:16:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-21 00:00:05.0 BdST
Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony apologised for assaulting two television journalists on Saturday.
Independent TV journalist Imtiaz Momin Sony and cameraman Mohsin Mukul were beaten up on Saturday noon at Rony’s office in Meherba Plaza of Topkhana Road.
The journalists went to his office to collect news for the television channel’s crime-based programme ‘Talash’.
Imtiaz Momin Sony told bdnews24.com, “Our Talash team had information that Golam Maula Rony will give Tk 20 million to a government official for a tender. So we went there to interview him. At one point of the interview, he became agitated and started assaulting us.”
Their camera and microphone were also smashed, he said.
Leaders of the journalist union rushed to the site and after their intervention the MP apologised to the injured journalists.
Rony said he would give compensation for the damaged camera and pay for the treatment of the assaulted journalists.
Dhaka Union of Journalists general secretary Shaban Mahmud after the meeting said, “The incident took place due to a misunderstanding.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- BNP leader Sabih Uddin admitted to Dhaka’s United Hospital
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- President Hamid urges parties to talk for fair election
- Nirob made Juba Dal president, Tuku general secretary
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Zafrullah advises Rizvi to limit making media comments
- Hifazat-e Islam praises govt for ‘cleansing textbooks’
- PM asks ruling Awami League to get ready for a tough parliamentary election
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Controversial candidate loses as pro-govt Blue Panel sweeps DU dean election
- Bangladesh coach Hathurusingha tight-lipped on exclusion of pacer Rubel
- Bangladesh ahead of India, Pakistan in inclusive development: WEF report
- Bipu, Muhith take contradictory stand on fuel price cut
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'