Rony apologises for assault
Published: 2013-07-20 18:16:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-07-21 00:00:05.0 BdST
Awami League MP Golam Maula Rony apologised for assaulting two television journalists on Saturday.
Independent TV journalist Imtiaz Momin Sony and cameraman Mohsin Mukul were beaten up on Saturday noon at Rony’s office in Meherba Plaza of Topkhana Road.
The journalists went to his office to collect news for the television channel’s crime-based programme ‘Talash’.
Imtiaz Momin Sony told bdnews24.com, “Our Talash team had information that Golam Maula Rony will give Tk 20 million to a government official for a tender. So we went there to interview him. At one point of the interview, he became agitated and started assaulting us.”
Their camera and microphone were also smashed, he said.
Leaders of the journalist union rushed to the site and after their intervention the MP apologised to the injured journalists.
Rony said he would give compensation for the damaged camera and pay for the treatment of the assaulted journalists.
Dhaka Union of Journalists general secretary Shaban Mahmud after the meeting said, “The incident took place due to a misunderstanding.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda asks for new judge again in Zia Orphanage Trust graft trial
- Khaleda’s 11 cases: Hearings delayed again
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Tarique Rahman's mother-in-law secures bail in graft case
- Election 'won't be easy' without BNP, Mirza Fakhrul says
- Stage collapses in Mohila Dal event in Chittagong, BNP leaders blame overcrowding
- Awami League MP Shamim Osman says Hifazat was not involved in May 5 Motijheel mayhem
- BNP questions Indian Army chief’s frequent Dhaka visit; ISPR says no visit scheduled
- Two CU BCL leaders expelled after clash with police
- Underfire Quader implores journalists not to make crow-hen reference
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- SSC results date announced
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet
- RAB arrests BUET student, suspected JMB ‘bomb expert’
- 12,000 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants ready to leave Saudi Arabia
- China to invest $2 billion in Bangladesh construction materials sector
- India-owned BHEL gets $1.5 billion order to build Rampal Power Plant
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Death penalties reduced to life term is imprisonment until death: AG
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS