Savar Juba League dissolved
Published: 2013-04-29 13:05:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 13:07:00.0 BdST
Juba League, the youth front of the ruling Awami League, on Monday dissolved its thana and municipality units in Savar following reports on its alleged link with the arrested owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday killing over 375 people.
The youth front in a statement said Bangladesh Awami Juba League Central Executive committee took the decision to dissolve the units as fingers were pointed at it in the wake of controversy centring Mohammad Sohel Rana.
It also demanded punishment for Rana for his alleged involvement in the tragedy.
According to local residents, Rana is the Senior Joint Convenor of Juba League’s Savar municipality unit. But the youth affiliate of the ruling party strongly refutes such claims.
Juba League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury and General Secretary Harunur Rashid said there was no post called Senior Joint Convenor at any level in their organisation.
“So it is clear that Rana is a self-styled Juba League leader and created the post (of a Senior Joint Convenor) himself only for his personal interests,” it added.
However, Rana had circulated various posters across Savar claiming he is a Senior Joint Convener of the Juba League’s local municipality unit. The posters also had a picture of Member of Parliament Talukdar Mohammad Towhid Jung Murad.
Locals alleged Rana became powerful after taking over drug syndicate in the area recently under the patronage of Murad. The MP, however, rubbished the claim.
Rapid Action Battalion arrested Rana on Sunday from Benapole of Jessore while he was trying to flee to neighbouring India. There has been a countrywide outrage over the incident. Callousness on the part of Rana and other garment owners allegedly led to the tragedy.
Rana is now on 15-day police remand. A court granted the remand in two cases filed by police and capital’s development authority RAJUK.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- PM Hasina asks Awami League MPs to get ready for general election
- BNP tries to forge alliance against militancy leaving Islamist Jamaat aside under pressure
- Arrest warrant out for BNP leader Rizvi in violence case
- Will handle issue of Tarique’s conviction ‘politically’, says BNP’s Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP chief Khaleda’s son Tarique ineligible to run for election after conviction
- Tarique will return in time and appeal against jail sentence for laundering money: BNP
- Khaleda meets senior BNP advisers after son Tarique’s conviction
- Suranjit slates ‘scared’ ministers over US ambassador’s comments, faces ire
- Tarique's money laundering verdict was meant to please government, BNP says
- Police detain BNP assistant office secretary, 10 others from near party headquarters
- Nine suspected militants dead in gunfight during raid on militant hideout in Dhaka
- Police battle militants in raid on hideout in Dhaka
- Dutch-Bangla Chamber President Hasan Khaled’s body found after he went missing
- Firing was so heavy it seemed we will not survive, recalls resident of Dhaka building raided by police
- Govt orders closure of Darul Ihsan University, outer campuses of private varsities told to shut down
- Kalyanpur, Gulshan militants were from same group, says DMP commissioner
- Nabbed militant Rakibul Hassan Reagan was all set to go to Syria
- 15 confirmed dead in knife attack on facility for people with disability in Japan
- Police release photos of nine suspected militants killed in Dhaka raid, seek information on them
- ‘Missing’ youth returns home day after police publish his photo in poster of militants