Savar Juba League dissolved
Published: 2013-04-29 13:05:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 13:07:00.0 BdST
Juba League, the youth front of the ruling Awami League, on Monday dissolved its thana and municipality units in Savar following reports on its alleged link with the arrested owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday killing over 375 people.
The youth front in a statement said Bangladesh Awami Juba League Central Executive committee took the decision to dissolve the units as fingers were pointed at it in the wake of controversy centring Mohammad Sohel Rana.
It also demanded punishment for Rana for his alleged involvement in the tragedy.
According to local residents, Rana is the Senior Joint Convenor of Juba League’s Savar municipality unit. But the youth affiliate of the ruling party strongly refutes such claims.
Juba League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury and General Secretary Harunur Rashid said there was no post called Senior Joint Convenor at any level in their organisation.
“So it is clear that Rana is a self-styled Juba League leader and created the post (of a Senior Joint Convenor) himself only for his personal interests,” it added.
However, Rana had circulated various posters across Savar claiming he is a Senior Joint Convener of the Juba League’s local municipality unit. The posters also had a picture of Member of Parliament Talukdar Mohammad Towhid Jung Murad.
Locals alleged Rana became powerful after taking over drug syndicate in the area recently under the patronage of Murad. The MP, however, rubbished the claim.
Rapid Action Battalion arrested Rana on Sunday from Benapole of Jessore while he was trying to flee to neighbouring India. There has been a countrywide outrage over the incident. Callousness on the part of Rana and other garment owners allegedly led to the tragedy.
Rana is now on 15-day police remand. A court granted the remand in two cases filed by police and capital’s development authority RAJUK.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- Supreme Court rejects State’s appeal on CrPC Sections 54, 167
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- Why no damages for detention even after acquittal, asks High Court
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Hard to call Section 54 bad: Law Minister Anisul Huq