Savar Juba League dissolved
Published: 2013-04-29 13:05:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 13:07:00.0 BdST
Juba League, the youth front of the ruling Awami League, on Monday dissolved its thana and municipality units in Savar following reports on its alleged link with the arrested owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday killing over 375 people.
The youth front in a statement said Bangladesh Awami Juba League Central Executive committee took the decision to dissolve the units as fingers were pointed at it in the wake of controversy centring Mohammad Sohel Rana.
It also demanded punishment for Rana for his alleged involvement in the tragedy.
According to local residents, Rana is the Senior Joint Convenor of Juba League’s Savar municipality unit. But the youth affiliate of the ruling party strongly refutes such claims.
Juba League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury and General Secretary Harunur Rashid said there was no post called Senior Joint Convenor at any level in their organisation.
“So it is clear that Rana is a self-styled Juba League leader and created the post (of a Senior Joint Convenor) himself only for his personal interests,” it added.
However, Rana had circulated various posters across Savar claiming he is a Senior Joint Convener of the Juba League’s local municipality unit. The posters also had a picture of Member of Parliament Talukdar Mohammad Towhid Jung Murad.
Locals alleged Rana became powerful after taking over drug syndicate in the area recently under the patronage of Murad. The MP, however, rubbished the claim.
Rapid Action Battalion arrested Rana on Sunday from Benapole of Jessore while he was trying to flee to neighbouring India. There has been a countrywide outrage over the incident. Callousness on the part of Rana and other garment owners allegedly led to the tragedy.
Rana is now on 15-day police remand. A court granted the remand in two cases filed by police and capital’s development authority RAJUK.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- BNP leader Sabih Uddin admitted to Dhaka’s United Hospital
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- President Hamid urges parties to talk for fair election
- Nirob made Juba Dal president, Tuku general secretary
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Zafrullah advises Rizvi to limit making media comments
- Hifazat-e Islam praises govt for ‘cleansing textbooks’
- PM asks ruling Awami League to get ready for a tough parliamentary election
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Controversial candidate loses as pro-govt Blue Panel sweeps DU dean election
- Bangladesh coach Hathurusingha tight-lipped on exclusion of pacer Rubel
- Bangladesh ahead of India, Pakistan in inclusive development: WEF report
- Bipu, Muhith take contradictory stand on fuel price cut
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'