Savar Juba League dissolved
Published: 2013-04-29 13:05:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 13:07:00.0 BdST
Juba League, the youth front of the ruling Awami League, on Monday dissolved its thana and municipality units in Savar following reports on its alleged link with the arrested owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday killing over 375 people.
The youth front in a statement said Bangladesh Awami Juba League Central Executive committee took the decision to dissolve the units as fingers were pointed at it in the wake of controversy centring Mohammad Sohel Rana.
It also demanded punishment for Rana for his alleged involvement in the tragedy.
According to local residents, Rana is the Senior Joint Convenor of Juba League’s Savar municipality unit. But the youth affiliate of the ruling party strongly refutes such claims.
Juba League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury and General Secretary Harunur Rashid said there was no post called Senior Joint Convenor at any level in their organisation.
“So it is clear that Rana is a self-styled Juba League leader and created the post (of a Senior Joint Convenor) himself only for his personal interests,” it added.
However, Rana had circulated various posters across Savar claiming he is a Senior Joint Convener of the Juba League’s local municipality unit. The posters also had a picture of Member of Parliament Talukdar Mohammad Towhid Jung Murad.
Locals alleged Rana became powerful after taking over drug syndicate in the area recently under the patronage of Murad. The MP, however, rubbished the claim.
Rapid Action Battalion arrested Rana on Sunday from Benapole of Jessore while he was trying to flee to neighbouring India. There has been a countrywide outrage over the incident. Callousness on the part of Rana and other garment owners allegedly led to the tragedy.
Rana is now on 15-day police remand. A court granted the remand in two cases filed by police and capital’s development authority RAJUK.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- Proof or no proof, graft allegation was there in Padma Bridge project: BNP
- New EC should be accepted by all: Prof Emajuddin
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Indian HC organises visa camp for Bangladesh armed forces family members
- 'Only two percent of Sheikh Hasina'
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday