Savar Juba League dissolved
Published: 2013-04-29 13:05:31.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 13:07:00.0 BdST
Juba League, the youth front of the ruling Awami League, on Monday dissolved its thana and municipality units in Savar following reports on its alleged link with the arrested owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday killing over 375 people.
The youth front in a statement said Bangladesh Awami Juba League Central Executive committee took the decision to dissolve the units as fingers were pointed at it in the wake of controversy centring Mohammad Sohel Rana.
It also demanded punishment for Rana for his alleged involvement in the tragedy.
According to local residents, Rana is the Senior Joint Convenor of Juba League’s Savar municipality unit. But the youth affiliate of the ruling party strongly refutes such claims.
Juba League Chairman Omar Faruk Chowdhury and General Secretary Harunur Rashid said there was no post called Senior Joint Convenor at any level in their organisation.
“So it is clear that Rana is a self-styled Juba League leader and created the post (of a Senior Joint Convenor) himself only for his personal interests,” it added.
However, Rana had circulated various posters across Savar claiming he is a Senior Joint Convener of the Juba League’s local municipality unit. The posters also had a picture of Member of Parliament Talukdar Mohammad Towhid Jung Murad.
Locals alleged Rana became powerful after taking over drug syndicate in the area recently under the patronage of Murad. The MP, however, rubbished the claim.
Rapid Action Battalion arrested Rana on Sunday from Benapole of Jessore while he was trying to flee to neighbouring India. There has been a countrywide outrage over the incident. Callousness on the part of Rana and other garment owners allegedly led to the tragedy.
Rana is now on 15-day police remand. A court granted the remand in two cases filed by police and capital’s development authority RAJUK.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Fulbarhia Awami League MP Moslem is 'war criminal', Kader Siddique alleges
- Govt move to relocate Zia's grave is a 'blueprint to wipe him out', BNP alleges
- 12 Awami League candidates to be elected uncontested in district council elections
- What Khaleda Zia told court in defence against graft charges
- Khaleda pleads not guilty in Zia Charitable Trust graft case
- Land minister's daughter to contest district council polls as rebel candidate in Pabna
- HC orders Tarique to surrender after vacating stay on cases
- BNP stresses army deployment at Narayanganj City polls
- Awami League General Secretary Quader meets predecessor Syed Ashraf
- Khaleda for allowing Rohingya refugees inside Bangladesh
- What Dhaka’s Bus Rapid Transit will be like
- Fallen smartphone brand Nokia challenges Apple, Samsung again
- Bangladesh MPs must stop draft law allowing ‘exceptional’ child marriages: HRW
- Journalists demonstrate in Bangladesh against MP Dabirul’s lawsuit over bdnews24.com report
- UN wants more Bangladesh peacekeepers for South Sudan
- Trump to nominate retired General Mattis for Pentagon
- Bangladesh receives Parliament building's original design by Louis I Kahn
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi says international attention fuelling Buddhist-Muslim divisions
- Defence minister’s first-ever visit ‘strengthened fraternal ties' with Bangladesh armed forces: India
- Moonwalker Buzz Aldrin medically evacuated from South Pole