Tarique made senior vice chair
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2009-12-08 15:28:50.0 BdST Updated: 2009-12-08 15:28:50.0 BdST
Tarique Rahman, the elder son of former prime minister and BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, has been appointed as the senior vice chairman of the party Tuesday.
The appointment was met with jubilation by delegates at the party's national council held at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre.
Tarique, undergoing treatment in England since Sept 2007, had been holding the post of senior joint secretary general of the party.
Earlier in the day, in a pre-recorded video speech aired ahead of his mother's address to the council, Tarique disappointed many delegates when he said he was not planning a return to politics in the immediate future.
Speculation had mounted ahead of the conference that Khaleda's elder son, who was all but banished from politics by the past caretaker government, would be returning to take up a central role in a "renewed" post-council BNP.
Tarique in a video message met with pin-drop silence, however, told the council he is still undecided about his direct involvement with party activities.
"It will depend on the overall situation and my health," said Tarique, who went to London for medical treatment in Sept 2007 after being granted bail in a number of corruption cases.
"My treatment is still ongoing. I don't know how many days it will take to get full recovery.
"I hope to join with you on my return home after recovery." He wished all success of the council.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Pakistan politicians invited to Awami League National Council next month
- Former Dhaka mayor Khoka’s 66.5 acres of land in Gazipur confiscated
- No truth in PM’s comments claiming enough scope of politics, BNP alleges
- There's enough scope for politics in Bangladesh, says Hasina
- Minister Sayedul Hoque dropped from AL's Brahmanbarhia district advisory council
- Talk to political parties to appoint election commissioners: BNP to government
- JaSoD leader, BSMMU Professor Moazzem Hossain dies
- Rival US Awami League activists bicker at Hasina's reception in New York
- BNP chief Khaleda returns from Hajj, causes traffic mayhem on Airport Road
- Warrants out for BNP Vice-Chairman Selima Rahman, 13 others in firebombing of bus
- Sloppy Bangladesh sneak 7-run last-over win over brave Afghanistan
- Bangladesh baby, who came to life six hours after 'being dead', dies at Dhaka hospital
- Shakib ascends to top wickettaker throne for Bangladesh in all formats
- Uttara, Ramna to lead way in smart national ID card upgrade
- Patuakhali fourth grader to receive PM’s letter Monday with pledge to bridge Payra River
- Patuakhali fourth grader receives PM’s letter with pledge to bridge Payra River
- Tamim scores 9000 international runs as first Bangladesh batsman
- Gold bars found in waste basket at Dhaka airport
- Bangladesh-origin man arrested in New York sex racket
- Six suspected JMB activists arrested in India's West Bengal, Assam