Tarique made senior vice chair
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2009-12-08 15:28:50.0 BdST Updated: 2009-12-08 15:28:50.0 BdST
Tarique Rahman, the elder son of former prime minister and BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, has been appointed as the senior vice chairman of the party Tuesday.
The appointment was met with jubilation by delegates at the party's national council held at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre.
Tarique, undergoing treatment in England since Sept 2007, had been holding the post of senior joint secretary general of the party.
Earlier in the day, in a pre-recorded video speech aired ahead of his mother's address to the council, Tarique disappointed many delegates when he said he was not planning a return to politics in the immediate future.
Speculation had mounted ahead of the conference that Khaleda's elder son, who was all but banished from politics by the past caretaker government, would be returning to take up a central role in a "renewed" post-council BNP.
Tarique in a video message met with pin-drop silence, however, told the council he is still undecided about his direct involvement with party activities.
"It will depend on the overall situation and my health," said Tarique, who went to London for medical treatment in Sept 2007 after being granted bail in a number of corruption cases.
"My treatment is still ongoing. I don't know how many days it will take to get full recovery.
"I hope to join with you on my return home after recovery." He wished all success of the council.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur out of IPL's second qualifier with injury
- Sexagenarian Railways Minister Mazibul Hoque becomes father of a baby girl
- Amber Heard accuses estranged husband Johnny Depp of domestic violence
- Danish Ambassador calls to save 200-yr old dying Bangladeshi tradition
- 11, including 2 candidates, killed in violence in fifth-phase union council elections
- UP polls member aspirant in Chittagong murdered outside voting centre
- AL leader Hanif claims news of Joy-Safadi meeting is BNP-staged drama
- Ronaldo gives Real Madrid shootout win over Atletico
- Sri Lanka President Sirisena calls for direct Dhaka-Colombo flight
- Hasina specifies Bangladesh’s importance through G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan: Officials