Trump has spoken with Obama since Oval Office meeting: White House
Published: 2016-11-23 18:50:28.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-23 18:50:28.0 BdST
President Barack Obama has a new fan: Donald Trump.
After lambasting Obama for months as a failed leader unfit to be president, the Republican president-elect found kinder words on Tuesday for the man he will succeed in the White House on Jan 20
"I didn't know if I'd like him. I probably thought that maybe I wouldn’t, but I did. I really enjoyed him a lot," Trump said in an interview with the New York Times.
Obama, a Democrat, met with Trump at the Oval Office on Nov 10, two days after the presidential election. White House spokesman Josh Earnest said earlier on Tuesday the two had spoken again since then, citing Obama's commitment to a smooth transfer of power, but offered no other details.
"I had a great meeting with President Obama," Trump told the Times. "I really liked him a lot."
Obama, who had his own harsh words for Trump as he campaigned for Democrat Hillary Clinton, has made clear he would put the bitterness of the campaign aside to ensure a smooth transition of power and protect a pillar of American democracy.
Trump told the newspaper that Obama talked to him about what he considered the country's biggest problems, one problem in particular that the president-elect did not mention, according to Twitter posts by Times reporters.
Trump, who has vowed to undo a number of initiatives Obama holds dear, appeared conciliatory toward the president whose US citizenship he had long questioned.
"He said very nice things after the meeting and I said very nice things about him," Trump said of Obama, according to the Times.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US, Japan first ladies: both unconventional yet poles apart
- Pope Francis says 'wait and see' on Trump
- The Trumps: Meet the new US First Family
- Gene Cernan, last astronaut to walk on moon, dies at 82
- Shakira urges Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- Baby kidnapped from Florida hospital found safe 18 years later
- New Zealand father and daughter found in Australia after month at sea
- American voters think Trump should close Twitter account: Poll
- 'Pharma bro' Shkreli suspended from Twitter for harassment
- Trump blasts Schwarzenegger over ' Apprentice' ratings
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April