Shawn Mendes ousts Drake for top spot on Billboard album chart
Published: 2016-10-04 13:58:51.0 BdST Updated: 2016-10-04 13:58:51.0 BdST
Social media star turned singer Shawn Mendes' sophomore album debuted at the top of the weekly US Billboard 200 chart on Monday, ousting Canadian R&B star Drake and holding off new entries from country singer Luke Bryan and veteran rocker Bruce Springsteen.
Mendes' "Illuminate" sold 121,000 albums, 79,000 songs and was streamed 24 million times, totalling 145,000 units, according to figures from Nielsen SoundScan for the week ended on Sept. 29.
The Canadian teen, who grew a devoted fan base on Vine, also topped the Billboard 200 chart with his debut album, "Handwritten", last year.
Drake's "Views" dropped to No. 2 with sales of 50,000 album units that include 55 million streams. The album has dominated the charts this year on the strength of its streaming figures.
The Billboard 200 album chart tallies units from album sales, song sales (10 songs equal one album) and streaming activity (1,500 streams equal one album).
The only other new entries in the top 10 of the Billboard 200 chart were country singer Bryan's "Farm Tour...Here's to the Farm" at No. 4 and Springsteen's latest record, "Chapter & Verse", at No. 5.
On the Digital Songs chart, which measures online single sales, the Chainsmokers' summer hit "Closer" featuring Halsey held onto the top spot with another 137,000 copies sold.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Voting underway for Comilla City Corporation elections
- At least seven militants killed in terror den at Moulvibazar
- BNP candidate re-elected Comilla mayor
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Comilla vote: Sima satisfied, Shakku objects
- Hasina visits the house of her daughter's in-laws in Faridpur
- Another ‘anti-terror raid’ begins in Tongi
- Election Commission expects 80 percent voter turnout in Comilla polls
- Dhaka bets on Beijing, Bengal to solve Teesta, says Kolkata's Telegraph'
- Blasts, firing during 'final assault' on terror den outside Moulvibazar town