Tennessee auto parts factory workers win $421 million lottery prize
Published: 2016-12-02 00:16:47.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-02 00:16:47.0 BdST
Twenty workers at a Tennessee auto parts factory have come forward as the winners of a nearly $421 million Powerball jackpot, lottery officials said on Wednesday.
The employees of North American Stamping Group in Portland, Tennessee held the winning ticket that was drawn on Saturday after the prize money grew for two months, Tennessee Lottery officials said in a statement.
"The friends ... have been playing together for years and have a variety of plans for the winnings, including helping others," lottery officials said.
The jackpot soared from $403 million to $420.9 million on Saturday due to a spate of late ticket-buying.
The money is paid out over 30 years, with the option of a lump sum payment, which officials said would add up to about $254.7 million.
Powerball, one of several games run by the Multi-State Lottery Association, a non-profit owned and operated by member states' lotteries, is available in 44 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
The prize was among the top 10 largest in the history of the Powerball lottery. Powerball has yielded the largest-ever US lottery prize, a $1.6 billion sum split between three winning tickets in January.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- All-female Afghan orchestra puts women's rights at Davos center stage
- That was hairy - Paris wax museum plays catchup with Trump dummy
- Tight security as Madame Tussauds unveils UK waxwork of Trump
- Oldest gorilla in captivity dies in Ohio at 60 years old
- After Vatican controversy, McDonald's helps feed homeless in Rome
- Iraqi artist recreates ancient artefacts destroyed by Islamic State
- Jovago Bangladesh offers ‘hitch-free' pre-booking of hotels in Dhaka
- It's the Year of the (Giant Inflatable Trump) Rooster at one Chinese factory
- Swedish archaeologists discover 12 ancient Egyptian cemeteries near Aswan
- Tuna fetches $614,000 at Tokyo's famed New Year's fish auction
- Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny arrested in ICT case filed by woman
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- UAE officials raid shops, slap fines for sending money to Bangladesh bypassing laws
- White House accuses media of playing down inauguration crowds
- Bangladesh closing down school that dubbed pro-Pakistan Monem Khan 'martyr'
- Two Indian soldiers killed in Assam
- Bangladesh home minister's son demands hanging of 'atheist' on Facebook
- Awami League leader Suranjit's former aide found guilty of corruption
- Trump fans shocked by foreign-made 'Make America Great Again' caps