Emma Stone wins best actress Oscar for 'La La Land'
Published: 2017-02-27 12:12:08.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-27 12:12:08.0 BdST
Emma Stone won her first Oscar on Sunday for her lead role as a struggling actress who falls in love with a jazz musician in musical romance "La La Land."
Stone, 28, plays Mia, a determined actress who tries to carve her own path in Hollywood, in a film that captures the fantasy and reality of falling in love against the backdrop of a dreamy Los Angeles.
The actress beat previous Oscar-winners Natalie Portman and Meryl Streep as well as France's Isabelle Huppert and Irish-Ethiophian Ruth Negga for the accolade.
Stone had been seen as the frontrunner for the Oscar after winning Golden Globe, BAFTA and Screen Actors Guild awards.
"I still have a lot of growing and learning and work to do and this guy is a really beautiful symbol to continue on that journey and I am so grateful for that, so thank you so much," Stone said as she held her Oscar.
Stone, known for her red hair and wide eyes, has showcased her comedic prowess in a slew of films over the past decade from her breakout in 2007's raunchy "Superbad" to leading roles in high school comedy "Easy A," "The Help" and "The Amazing Spider-Man."
Stone also won attention while dating her "Spider-Man" co-star Andrew Garfield for about four years. The media-shy couple split in 2015.
She was previously Oscar-nominated in the supporting actress category in 2015 for dark comedy "Birdman."
"La La Land" saw Stone pair up for an on-screen romance with Ryan Gosling for the third time, following "Crazy Stupid Love" and "Gangster Squad."
Director Damien Chazelle said he hoped the pairing would bring to mind Golden Age movie couples such as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers or Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- The truth is still out there as 'X-Files' returns for new season
- Drake profits are sought in New York lawsuit
- 'Fate of the Furious' Debuts to Hefty $100.2 Million
- Environment, politics and 'The Godfather' on Tribeca film fest menu
- Hollywood's Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner file for divorce
- Apu visits ‘ailing’ Shakib in hospital
- Actor Shakib Khan hospitalised amid bickering with wife, co-actor Apu Biswas
- Sanjay Dutt biopic 60 percent complete, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Actor Shakib Khan says co-star wife Apu Biswas ‘stepped into a trap’
- Well if he calls this a conspiracy, says Apu Biswas about Shakib wanting to hide their son
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Bangladesh to introduce rota virus, HPV vaccines in 2018