Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
Rudra Haque, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-18 16:02:39.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-18 18:49:21.0 BdST
An order by the Information Ministry has stalled the process of release of "Doob: No Bed of Roses", a Bangladesh drama biopic film written and directed by Mostofa Sarwar Farooki.
This happened before the film could be put up to the Censor Board, Farooki told bdnews24.com.
The film has been produced by Abdul Aziz and Irrfan Khan under the banner of Jaaz Multimedia and Irrfan Khan Films.
It stars Bollywood's star Irrfan Khan, Nusrat Imrose Tisha, Rokeya Prachy and Parno Mittra.
The story builds up around the members of two families discovering the finer fabric of love when the headman of a family dies.
The theme of the film is that death doesn't always take things away, sometimes it gives back.
On Friday, Farooki told Glitz : Following the policy guidelines for joint productions, I submitted the film for preview to the special committee on 12 Feb. on 15 Feb, the committee cleared the film and agreed to provide a no-objection certificate . But the very next day, the Information Ministry halted the no-objection certificate."
Bangladesh's leading writer Humayun Ahmed's wife Meher Afroz Shaon had previously brought to the government's notice that a part of the film closely resembles a period in the life of her late husband.
"We hope the film will in no way undermine the reputation of a legendary writer like Humayun Ahmed," she told bdnews24.com.
Many believe the information ministry slammed the brakes on the film immediately after Shaun went public .
But the information ministry's order does not provide any explicit reason for stalling the no-objection certificate for " Doob: No Bed of Roses".
Farooki said he will meeting authorities on Sunday to clear the air and get the film's release back on track.
“We wish to know why the approval was stalled,” he said.
“Whoever misled the government has embarrassed the people of Bangladesh. They do not understand the producer is Irrfan Khan. For the past five years we have tried to show our cinema in a positive light on the world stage. Now this is getting us negative headlines . We hope the government understands and removes this hurdle so that we can go to the censor board.”
Farooki also remains firm on his stance regarding Shaon’s objections. The story is not a biopic or a depiction of a period in the writer’s life, he told bdnews24.com, He insists 'Doob' is an original creation.
Farooki plans for a simultaneous initial release of the film in three countries.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Knight Riders, Gauri Khan pulled up for forex rule violation
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- Rebooted Power Rangers return to big screen
- Harrison Ford called himself a 'schmuck' after plane incident
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Paul McCartney should wait to get back Beatles songs, Sony/ATV says
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Bangladesh airport authorities restrict visitors accompanying passengers
- Islamic State reportedly claims credit for Sylhet blasts