Bangladesh signs MoUs with China firms to build Payra Port structures
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-08 21:47:41.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-08 21:47:41.0 BdST
The government has signed three Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with two Chinese firms for the construction of the main structure of Payra Port, a dam to protect the waterside and other buildings.
The government expects to build the main structure of the third port of Bangladesh within 2023.
>> CHEC will build the main structure of the port under one of the three MoUs.
>> The two other MoUs, signed with CSCEC, are for the construction of the protection dam and structures for education and health services.
>> These three of the nine phases of the port project will be implemented under a government-to-government cooperation.
Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan, after witnessing the signings at his ministry on Thursday, said the deals to construct the main structure and other buildings would expedite the development of Payra into a modern port.
"I hope the financial agreements will be signed soon," he added.
He also said the main structure would be built by 2023, but many other works like the construction of an airport and a satellite city may not be completed by that time.
The port is being built on a more than 7000 acres of land on the west bank of Ramnabad Channel in Patuakhali's Kolaparha.
The estimated cost of the project is Tk 11.44 billion.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated the port on Nov 18, 2013.
Ships have started anchoring at the port even before the construction of the main structure.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tripura to have three railway links with Bangladesh, says Indian minister
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- One killed in blast near Dhaka airport; police rule out 'suicide attack'
- Security forces mount raid on Sylhet building
- 'Send in the SWAT!' - militant suspect tells police surrounding Sylhet building
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first: Mamata
- Ex-husband of slain bank employee Arifa caught in Tangail
- BNP, Jamaat lawyers dominate in Supreme Court Bar Association election
- Islamic State 'claims responsibility for attack' at Dhaka airport roundabout
- Bangladesh Bank building catches fire
- Final phase of smart NID distribution from Apr 10