Tamim passes Man-of-the-Match award to Shakib after historic win in Colombo
Sports Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-03-19 19:37:21.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-19 20:04:38.0 BdST
Tamim Iqbal has passed on his Man-of-the-Match award to Shakib Al Hasan after Bangladesh’s memorable Test win against Sri Lanka.
The Tigers clinched a four-wicket victory over the islanders to square the two-Test series 1-1 at the P Sara Oval in Colombo on Sunday.
Although the official records will read Tamim’s name as the best player of the match, he gave it up for Shakib. The opener’s humility did not go unnoticed.
Commentator and cricket analyst Russell Arnold, a former Sri Lanka cricketer, confirmed the news of Tamim’s courtesy during the Ten Cricket broadcast after the presentation.
Tamim cracked a fine 82 under pressure in Bangladesh’s 191-run chase on the final day and was adjudged best player for his knock.
But it was Shakib’s all-round performance that kept Bangladesh ahead in a match where the momentum swung like a pendulum towards either team on the final day.
The ace all-rounder cracked his first century against Sri Lanka, 116, in the first innings and grabbed six wickets both innings combined in what was a decisive display for Bangladesh.
Shakib has received Man-of-the-Match awards five times, highest for a Bangladesh cricketer in Tests. Including this one, Tamim has won it thrice to equal Mushfiqur Rahim and Mohammad Ashraful.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Test bowler Tsotsobe charged with match fixing
- Australia spinner O'Keefe misses out on national contract
- Younis reaches 10,000 Test runs in first for Pakistan
- New Zealand recall injured trio in Champions Trophy squad
- Mathews, Malinga back for Sri Lanka's Champions Trophy bid
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh call up Nasir for Ireland tour, not Champions Trophy
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors