Kohli succeeds Dhoni as India's limited-overs captain
Published: 2017-01-06 21:30:27.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 21:30:27.0 BdST
Virat Kohli has taken over from Mahendra Singh Dhoni as India's limited-overs captain, becoming his country's skipper in all three formats of the game, the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said on Friday.
Dhoni has been named as wicketkeeper in the squads for three one-dayers and three Twenty20 Internationals against England beginning on Jan. 15.
The 35-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman relinquished the limited-overs captaincy on Wednesday after nine trophy-laden years, which included two World Cups and a Champions Trophy.
Having taken over the Test captaincy from Dhoni in late 2014 and led the team to top the top of the ICC rankings, the 28-year-old Kohli was a natural choice to skipper the limited-overs squads.
"Virat was on Skype with us...and we chose the best possible squad (for the England series)," chief selector MSK Prasad told reporters.
Kohli took to social media to join the outpouring of tributes to Dhoni's captaincy.
"Thanks for always being the leader a youngster wants to have around him. You'll always be my captain @msdhoni Bhai (brother)," Kohli tweeted.
India's limited-overs stalwart Yuvraj Singh returned to both the one-day and Twenty20 squads after his impressive form in domestic cricket.
Uncapped wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant was named in the Twenty20 squad which also includes 37-year-old fast bowler Ashish Nehra.
India ODI squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicketkeeper), Lokesh Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Manish Pandey, Kedar Jadhav, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Hardik Pandya, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra, Jaspreet Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav.
India Twenty20 squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicketkeeper), Mandeep Singh, Lokesh Rahul, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Rishabh Pant, Hardik Pandya, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Yuzvendra Chahal, Manish Pandey, Jaspreet Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ashish Nehra.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe’s two mantras for winning Champion Trophy battles
- Test bowler Tsotsobe charged with match fixing
- Australia spinner O'Keefe misses out on national contract
- Younis reaches 10,000 Test runs in first for Pakistan
- New Zealand recall injured trio in Champions Trophy squad
- Mathews, Malinga back for Sri Lanka's Champions Trophy bid
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- SSC results date announced
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine makes South Korea port call
- Security forces raid Rajshahi homes
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet