Bangladesh keep Subashis in squad for first T20 against New Zealand
Sports Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-31 17:33:58.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-01 03:27:41.0 BdST
After receiving his first ODI cap in the series against New Zealand, paceman Subashis Roy has retained his spot in the squad for the first Twenty20 International match against the Black Caps.
Bangladesh suffered a humiliating 3-0 clean sweep of the ODI series by New Zealand. The focus now turns to the three-match T20 series.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board announced a 15-man squad on Saturday.
Opener Imrul Kayes, pacer Rubel Hossain and youngster Mosaddek Hossain made the cut while Nurul Hasan retained his place behind the stumps with Mushfiqur Rahim still nursing a hamstring injury he suffered in the series opener.
Shakib Al Hasan will get another southpaw as his wingman as Taijul Islam, who played 11 Tests and four one-dayers but is yet to play a T20I, was brought into the fold.
Bangladesh played their last game in the shortest format in the showcase event in March earlier this year. The nine-month break from T20s brought about a number of changes to the team.
Mohammad Mithun, Nasir Hossain, Abu Hider and Al-Amin Hossain were all dropped from Bangladesh’s last lineup.
Fast bowler Taskin Ahmed also returned to the 20-over side after being cleared from ICC suspension. He was ruled out from internationals over illegal action midway through the World Twenty20 in India.
Left-arm spinner Arafat Sunny, who was also cleared with a remodelled action after serving suspension, however, was overlooked.
Shuvagata Hom Chowdhury and Saqlain Sajib were drafted in place of Taskin and Sunny in the World T20. The former made the squad while the left-arm spinner was left out.
Rubel staked his claim for a spot with a notable performance in the last Bangladesh Premier League. He was in the ODI squad as well but he warmed the benches in all three matches.
Prodigious teenage allrounder Mehedi Hasan Miraz is with the team but is yet to be receive an opportunity in the limited-overs games.
Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Soumya Sarkar, Sabbir Rahman, Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan (vice-captain), Mosaddek Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Shuvagata Hom Chowdhury, Shubashis Roy, Taijul Islam, Nurul Hasan.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Paceman Umesh takes four as India restrict Australia
- Sri Lanka's Dickwella gets two-match ban for another misconduct
- England's Stokes hits jackpot in IPL auction
- India keen to take down Australia for perfect end to season
- Mustafizur returns in Test squad for Sri Lanka, Imrul Kayes dropped
- Pakistan's Afridi retires from international cricket
- Smith replaces Dhoni as Pune skipper, Starc pulls out of IPL
- Gunaratne inspires Sri Lanka to series victory over Australia
- Calm De Villiers leads South Africa to win over New Zealand
- Mustafizur ready for all formats, says BCB director Khaled Mahmud
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April