Bangladesh keep Subashis in squad for first T20 against New Zealand
Sports Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-31 17:33:58.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-01 03:27:41.0 BdST
After receiving his first ODI cap in the series against New Zealand, paceman Subashis Roy has retained his spot in the squad for the first Twenty20 International match against the Black Caps.
Bangladesh suffered a humiliating 3-0 clean sweep of the ODI series by New Zealand. The focus now turns to the three-match T20 series.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board announced a 15-man squad on Saturday.
Opener Imrul Kayes, pacer Rubel Hossain and youngster Mosaddek Hossain made the cut while Nurul Hasan retained his place behind the stumps with Mushfiqur Rahim still nursing a hamstring injury he suffered in the series opener.
Shakib Al Hasan will get another southpaw as his wingman as Taijul Islam, who played 11 Tests and four one-dayers but is yet to play a T20I, was brought into the fold.
Bangladesh played their last game in the shortest format in the showcase event in March earlier this year. The nine-month break from T20s brought about a number of changes to the team.
Mohammad Mithun, Nasir Hossain, Abu Hider and Al-Amin Hossain were all dropped from Bangladesh’s last lineup.
Fast bowler Taskin Ahmed also returned to the 20-over side after being cleared from ICC suspension. He was ruled out from internationals over illegal action midway through the World Twenty20 in India.
Left-arm spinner Arafat Sunny, who was also cleared with a remodelled action after serving suspension, however, was overlooked.
Shuvagata Hom Chowdhury and Saqlain Sajib were drafted in place of Taskin and Sunny in the World T20. The former made the squad while the left-arm spinner was left out.
Rubel staked his claim for a spot with a notable performance in the last Bangladesh Premier League. He was in the ODI squad as well but he warmed the benches in all three matches.
Prodigious teenage allrounder Mehedi Hasan Miraz is with the team but is yet to be receive an opportunity in the limited-overs games.
Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Soumya Sarkar, Sabbir Rahman, Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan (vice-captain), Mosaddek Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Shuvagata Hom Chowdhury, Shubashis Roy, Taijul Islam, Nurul Hasan.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe’s two mantras for winning Champion Trophy battles
- Test bowler Tsotsobe charged with match fixing
- Australia spinner O'Keefe misses out on national contract
- Younis reaches 10,000 Test runs in first for Pakistan
- New Zealand recall injured trio in Champions Trophy squad
- Mathews, Malinga back for Sri Lanka's Champions Trophy bid
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- SSC results date announced
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine makes South Korea port call
- Security forces raid Rajshahi homes
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet