3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure