3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Rangs chief Rouf, HRC Chairman Sayeed cleared of 1996 share fraud
- Grameenphone earns Tk 6.6bn in net profit in the first quarter
- PRAN appoints cricketer Taskin Atom Gum brand ambassador
- Almost half of Rana Plaza survivors are still jobless: Report
- Finance Minister Muhith takes up GP's dropped calls to Telenor chief
- Asian stocks climb, euro surrenders gains as French election jitters return
- EU eyes years of Brexit payments, immigration – document
- Retailers not paying much for products from green factories, minister says
- Global stocks struggle as French elections loom, North Korea worries
- Bangladesh Bank eases rules for IT service exporters
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Man burns himself in attempted suicide during altercation with 'girlfriend'
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Moosa gets two weeks to appear before customs over seizure of car