3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tata Sons strongly rebuts allegations in ousted chairman's letter
- Ousted Tata boss's hostile defence takes boardroom battle public
- Bangladesh 176th on World Bank’s 'Doing Business' ranking
- Samsung Electronics vows mobile rebound, dangles buyback after Note 7 shock
- AB Bank assigns NetWorld for maintenance of ATM booths
- CNG refuelling station owners call strike from Oct 30 protesting rise in lease charge
- More border haats on India-Bangladesh frontier soon
- Apple's holiday surprise: big sales, not so big profits
- AT&T aims to break from streaming crowd with Time Warner
- Citibank, UCEP organise technical education programme graduation ceremony
- Cyclone 'Kyant' across Bangladesh
- Malaysian MDR-TB survivor thanks Bangladesh for treatment breakthrough
- Police deny RAB claim that Sarwar Jahan was Neo-JMB chief
- Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur looks to celebrate his 50th Test with win over England
- New survey finds TB in Bangladesh lesser than WHO estimates
- Infection fear forces doctors to hold surgery on five-year-old Dinajpur rape victim
- Bangladesh minister says Royal Bengal Tigers are back from India tour
- England cricket team’s Bangladesh tour a watershed moment for world cricket: ECB CEO
- JSC, JDC exam: Nahid says ‘fake question paper sells at up to Tk 300,000’
- Bangladesh urges South Africa to expedite process of deporting grenade attack accused