3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 'Unusual' rise price spike in Dhaka markets stings buyers
- Prime mover owners, workers postpone strike in Chittagong Port until Oct 4
- Netherlands urges Bangladesh apparel manufacturers to sometimes say ‘no’ to buyers for fair pricing
- Talks fail with cargo movers in Chittagong, two more organisations join strike
- 40,000 undelivered containers choke Chittagong Port
- BlackBerry stops making smartphones, focus on software
- Oil prices retreat as investors wait for clarity on OPEC deal
- StanChart tells authorities about corruption allegations at Indonesian firm
- BTRC cracks down on illegally imported mobile phone sets
- MNP licence auction after intelligence reports on companies, Tarana says
- After military raid, India looks at more ways to pressure Pakistan
- Traffic jams on Dhaka streets as PM Hasina's supporters gather to welcome her
- Pakistan 'completely rejects' Indian claim of cross-border strikes
- PM Hasina's Dhaka arrival delayed by over one and a half hours
- Friday’s ‘public reception’ for PM Hasina triggers traffic fears among Dhakaites
- Soldier inadvertently crossed LoC, report of others killed false: Indian Army sources
- Bangladesh groups hail move to impound assets of Bangabandhu's killers, war criminals as 'historic'
- Pakistan captures Indian soldier, kills eight others at Kashmir's Line of Control: Report
- Juba League leader detained with gun at 'public reception' of PM Hasina
- Hasina returns after UN General Assembly in US, Global Fund meet in Canada