3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Recruitment of 'ethical hackers' proposed to ensure cyber security at Bangladesh banks
- National policy for small, medium enterprises 'soon', Industries Minister Amu says
- Scheduled banks to get 23 holidays in 2017, according to BB
- Fallen smartphone brand Nokia challenges Apple, Samsung again
- Bangladesh’s BASIS, universities to fight for APICTA Awards
- OPEC in first joint oil cut with Russia since 2001, Saudis take 'big hit'
- Philip Morris CEO looks towards phasing out cigarettes: BBC
- Bangladesh is best investment destination in South Asia, Hasina tells businesses in Hungary
- BTRC says it has no plan to block free calling apps in Bangladesh
- Banks to remain open until 8pm Tuesday, Wednesday for tax return submission
- Attacks force Bangladesh LGBT community into closet, abroad
- Former SP Babul Aktar works in hospital after wife’s murder
- Bangladesh's Mustafizur nears full fitness ahead of training camp in Australia
- Bangladesh security agency checking whether fault in PM's flight was 'sabotage'
- Three Bangladeshis among five killed in Dubai road crash: Report
- Mozammel Haque appointed secretary of public administration
- Police confirm identities of bullet-ridden bodies found in Dinajpur
- Removal of Zia's grave from parliament complex will ignite a civil war in Bangladesh, BNP warns
- Bangladesh calls in National Security Intelligence to probe PM plane emergency landing
- New law to raise compensation for land acquired by government