3 new banks get license
Published: 2013-03-14 04:49:13.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-14 05:29:14.0 BdST
Three new banks - South Bangla Agricultural and Commerce Bank Limited, Union Bank and NRB Commercial Bank - have been cleared to start commercial operation by the Bangladesh Bank.
Earlier, the apex bank had issued no-objection certificates to enlist seven new banks (including the three approved ) as companies.
Final approvals for the certified Farmers Bank Limited, Midland Bank Limited, Meghna Bank Limited are also expected soon . Following enlistment, they will be given license after they apply to the Bangladesh Bank.
NRB Commercial Bank Chairman Farasat Ali confirmed to bdnews24.com of the Bangladesh Bank approvals. “We will begin operations from April or May… Now we will apply to BB for opening branches… Will begin as soon as they (BB) approve it.”
NRB Commercial Bank have put opened their head office at Motijheel's Crescent Bhaban, appointed their Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director and filled some other top positions.
Other licensed banks are recruiting after having taken up office space.
Last year, the government approved two other banks for operation. But their clearance certificate is still awaited, as they could not provide the apex bank with the source of their funds and some other necessary information.
The government had cleared six banks run by local sponsors and three NRB banks of foreign sponsors in April last year. Critics say many of these approvals resulted from political consideration.
Union Bank has named Shahidul Alam as its Chairman and Golam Masi as its sponsor. Golam Masi was the International Affairs Secretary of Jatiya Party. Critics say H M Ershad's influence has secured Union Bank the necessary clearences..
Fasarat Ali, Chairman of NRB Commercial Bank was Awami League President of USA unit. On the other hand, SM Amzad Hossain has been named Chairman of South Bangla Agriculture and Commerce Bank.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh signs first investment agreement with post-sanction Iran for LPG cylinder factory
- Verizon to buy Yahoo's core business for $4.83 billion
- Verizon to announce $5 billion deal to buy Yahoo on Monday: source
- Sugar prices soar in Bangladesh as glitches in mills dry up supplies
- Bangladesh, India merge South Asia’s biggest land port, ease movement
- ACC arrests ICB Islami Bank general manager over embezzlement of Tk 18.5 million
- Brands won't quit Bangladesh after attacks: Safety group Accord
- Gulshan eateries bear brunt of Holey Artisan terror attack
- Grameenphone profit, revenue, subscription soar in first half of fiscal
- Taiwan says foreign suspects arrested over $2 million ATM cyber robbery
- Police identify seven of nine 'militants' killed in Kalyanpur operations
- Shehzad, one of nine slain suspected militants, is a US citizen
- Most of the militants killed in raid shot in the back, says forensic doctor
- High Court stays eviction of Scholastica, four other establishments in Gulshan, Banani
- British Council in Bangladesh ‘temporarily’ closed to review security procedure
- Bangladesh diplomat Ismat Jahan to lead OIC in European Union
- Police release photos of nine suspected militants killed in Dhaka raid, seek information on them
- Some of the militants killed in Tuesday’s Kalyanpur raid identified, says Dhaka metro police chief
- One killed, four injured after men with sharp weapons attack security guards in Dhaka
- Court upholds prison term for suspended police officer Helaluddin for torturing DU student