Bangladesh government starts inquiry into the Padma ferry capsize
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2015-02-22 19:33:44.0 BdST Updated: 2015-02-23 17:36:58.0 BdST
The government has started an investigation into the sinking of a passenger ferry in the Padma River that has left at least 43 dead.
Shipping ministry’s PRO Md Jahangir Alam Khan said the three-member committee would submit its findings within 15 business days.
MV Mostofa-3, carrying over 100 passengers, sank on Sunday noon after being hit by cargo vessel MV Nargis-1 on the Paturia-Daulatdia route.
Until night, 43 bodies, mostly of women and children, had been pulled out with many others still unaccounted for.
Police have arrested the master of the cargo vessel along with two others.
President Md Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have offered condolences to the bereaved families.
In a message, the prime minister ordered proper investigation into the accident.
Shipping ministry’s permanent 11-member investigation committee will also probe the matter.
Manikganj’s Additional Superintendent of Police Mijanur Rahman said a five-strong committee, headed by shipping department’s nautical surveyor 'Capt Shahjahan', had been ordered to submit their findings within seven days.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- Supreme Court rejects State’s appeal on CrPC Sections 54, 167
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- Why no damages for detention even after acquittal, asks High Court
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Hard to call Section 54 bad: Law Minister Anisul Huq