4 warships including Somoudra Joy commissioned
Published: 2013-12-23 21:08:30.0 BdST Updated: 2013-12-23 21:08:30.0 BdST
Four warships, including the US-donated ‘Somoudra Joy’ were commissioned by Bangladesh Navy on Monday, adding more teeth to the force’s prowess.
Commissioning the new ships at Chittagong Naval Berth, President Abdul Hamid said the government has taken “short and long” term strategies to upgrade the naval force.
“The implementation (strategies) will be completed by 2030,” the supreme commander of armed forces said.
Somudra Joy is the largest ship of Bangladesh navy. It was formally the ‘Coast Guard Cutter Jarvis’ that the US handed over to Bangladesh under the Excess Defense Articles programme.
It has been named ‘Somudra Joy’ commemorating Bangladesh’s maritime victory over Myanmar. Before it, the largest ship in Bangladesh’s navy fleet was BNS Bangabandhu.
The other three – BNS Aparajeya, BNS Adomya and Atondra –commissioned on Monday were built at the Khulna Shipyard.
The President said efforts were underway to develop Bangladesh navy as a “three-dimensional” force.
In this regard, he said two modern Corbett were being built in China. “It will be with the navy in 2015”.
Besides, he said, Chinese missile frigates would join the force by Jan.
Naval Chief Vice-Admiral M Farid Habib, LGRD minister Syed Ashraful Islam, chiefs of other armed forces division and diplomats of different countries were present during the ceremony.
Earlier in March 2011, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina commissioned two home-made war ships –Padma and Jamuna.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- One killed, 3 injured in Bagerhat road crash
- Syed Shamsul Haq passes away
- Arrested in India, JMB operative Faruq wanted for 2014 Trishal militant snatching, home minister says
- Two Bangladesh-origin German citizens held with 'firearms' at Dhaka airport
- Bangladesh changes ambassadors in three countries
- Jewellers' shop robbed at Dhaka's Keraniganj
- AK- 22 rifle, SMG found in raid on Chittagong slum: RAB
- Hizb ut-Tahrir Bangladesh coordinator Mohiuddin, five others indicted
- Two-year-old girl succumbs to burn injuries sustained in Sept 22 Old Dhaka fire
- Three workers electrocuted at Dhaka's Savar
- Uttara, Ramna to lead way in smart national ID card upgrade
- Bangladesh citizen gunned down in Los Angeles
- BNP leader, former minister Hannan Shah dies at 74
- Stop dreaming about Kashmir: India tells Pakistan
- Charred body of a Bangladesh national found in Malaysia
- Patuakhali fourth grader receives PM’s letter with pledge to bridge Payra River
- Pakistan politicians invited to Awami League National Council next month
- Sabbir slapped with fine, demerit points for breaching Code of Conduct
- Customs intelligence seizes three duty-dodged luxury cars in Sylhet
- Six suspected JMB activists arrested in India's West Bengal, Assam