US to handover a Naval ship to Bangladesh
Published: 2013-05-23 11:48:11.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-24 15:53:48.0 BdST
The United States will officially hand over a naval ship to Bangladesh in a reflagging ceremony in California on May 23.
According to a media release, the US Coast Guard will officially decommission ‘Cutter Jarvis’ and transfer it to the Bangladesh Navy after renaming it as ‘BNS Somudro Joy’, in a ceremony at around 11 pm Bangladesh time at Coast Guard Island in Alameda, California.
Once transferred, this would be the largest ship in the Navy fleet.
Jarvis is being transferred “as an Excess Defense Articles (EDA) through a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme to Bangladesh,” the media release said.
The BNS Somudro Joy will depart for Bangladesh later this year, it said. A 20-member Bangladesh naval team is in Alameda for the ceremony.
US officials had earlier said the ship would be gifted as part of its keenness to develop a stronger naval relationship for the maritime ‘peace and stability’ in the Asia-Pacific region.
US Ambassador to Dhaka Dan Mozena had said it would take several months of continued outfitting of the vessel and training of the crew after the transfer of the ship to Bangladesh Navy.
The ‘Jarvis’ sailed in the Pacific and served the US since 1972. It was decommissioned in Oct last year.
Training is underway for Bangladeshi naval officials in US to run the ship.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- Bangladesh child aged 4 appears ancient with swollen face, sagging skin
- Bangladesh looking for new bowling coach to replace Streak
- Dhaka court jail a den of harassment for women inmates for lack of separate cell
- ‘Begum’ Editor Nurjahan Begum passes away at 91
- Former Bangladesh Bank governor Farashuddin suggests solution to end VAT stalemate
- Twin girls found in Bangladesh swamp
- Salim Osman’s shaming Narayanganj teacher has embarrassed Jatiya Party: GM Quader
- BNP leader Gayeshwar fears arrest of top politicians as in 2007-’08