Protests in Gazipur
Published: 2013-04-29 08:19:50.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-29 08:19:50.0 BdST
Angry ready-made garment (RMG) workers staged demonstrations in Gazipur and disrupted traffic on Monday demanding capital punishment of Rana Plaza owner Sohel Rana and the owners of the five factories located inside the building.
Some thousand ready-made garment workers hit the streets in Joydebpur Chourasta, Board Bazar, Konabari, and Bhogra bypass areas around 11:30am, police and witnesses said.
They stopped traffic on the Dhaka-Mymensingh highway. Highway returned to normalcy only after local transport workers, police and paramilitary Border Guard Battalion (BGB) dispersed them an hour later.
Traffic resumed around 12 noon, Joydebpur Police Station Officer in-Charge Jahidul Islam said.
Transport workers ‘chased away’ protesting RMG workers, he said.
Paramilitary BGB were patrolling streets to avert any untoward incident, bdnews24.com Gazipur Correspondent said.
Angry workers were holding demonstrations in several areas from Thursday, a day after the Rana Plaza collapsed, protesting against the incident.
Outraged by the incident workers rampaged several factories compelling the BGMEA and BKMEA to announce Saturday, Sunday as holidays for the garment sector.
They also laid siege to the BGMEA building in Dhaka on Thursday.
Workers of the five RMG units located inside Rana Plaza were allegedly forced into work the day the nine storeyed building caved in leaving at least 381 dead and many missing.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- Assailants hack Gaibandha man to death inside his shop
- Head of forensic team that conducted autopsy on murdered Comilla student Tonu gets ‘death threat’
- Former Sonali Bank branch AGM, two jailed for life in Tk 36bn loan scam
- Hard to call Section 54 bad: Law Minister Anisul Huq
- Dubai opens world's first functioning 3D-printed office
- UK ‘disagrees’ with Bangladesh government’s explanation on recent killings