Rana arrested from Benapole
Published: 2013-04-28 09:28:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-28 10:52:23.0 BdST
Sohel Rana, whose ‘negligence’ allegedly caused the Rana Plaza, at Savar, to cave in leaving at least 369 people dead, was arrested from Benapole on Sunday afternoon.
Junior LGRD Minister Jahangir Kabir Nanak confirmed the news of his arrest from Benapole - bordering India.
“He was trying to flee the country. He is now being brought to Dhaka in a helicopter,” Nanak said. Junior Home Minister Shamsul Haque Tuku was present beside Nanak when the announcements were made at Savar.
Earlier on Sunday morning, police and the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) conducted unsuccessful raids in Khulna’s Sonadanga area to nab Rana, Sonadanga Police Station Officer in-Charge SM Kamruzzaman said.
Sohel Rana claims himself to be the Senior Joint Convenor of the ruling Awami League’s youth front - Juba League, but Prime Minister and Awami League supremo Sheikh Hasina has dismissed his claim.
She herself had ordered that Rana be arrested.
The majority of the victims after the collapse on Wednesday were readymade garment workers, who were forced into work by the factory owners on Wednesday despite safety alerts raised by the Industrial Police the previous day.
Two cases have already been filed with the Savar Model Police Station, over what is being described as the worst industrial disaster in the history of Bangladesh, against Rana and the owners of the five garment factories located in the building.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Netrokona court orders life sentences for three in murder of farmer
- Thakurgaon court awards death penalty to man for murdering father
- HC issues rule asking why Tangail MP Rana will not be granted bail
- Chittagong airport police stops 22 ‘Rohingyas’ from flying
- Burqa-clad women suspected of radical propaganda at Mymensingh school
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- Shahriar Alam leads Bangladesh at ACD meeting in Abu Dhabi
- Trucks hits motorcycle in Dhaka killing two persons
- Hindu kirtan singer’s throat slit in Khulna
- Bangladesh cyclists community smashes Guinness World Records
- Shihab ‘killed by younger brother’, police say parents knew
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Bangladeshi-American Behnaz Kibria nominated to US trade advisory committee
- Shakib moves to career-best place in Test batsmen rankings after Wellington Test
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- Hawkers warn Dhaka South Mayor Khokon over eviction
- Myanmar interested in taking back nationals, says Foreign Minister Ali
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders