Rana arrested from Benapole
Published: 2013-04-28 09:28:00.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-28 10:52:23.0 BdST
Sohel Rana, whose ‘negligence’ allegedly caused the Rana Plaza, at Savar, to cave in leaving at least 369 people dead, was arrested from Benapole on Sunday afternoon.
Junior LGRD Minister Jahangir Kabir Nanak confirmed the news of his arrest from Benapole - bordering India.
“He was trying to flee the country. He is now being brought to Dhaka in a helicopter,” Nanak said. Junior Home Minister Shamsul Haque Tuku was present beside Nanak when the announcements were made at Savar.
Earlier on Sunday morning, police and the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) conducted unsuccessful raids in Khulna’s Sonadanga area to nab Rana, Sonadanga Police Station Officer in-Charge SM Kamruzzaman said.
Sohel Rana claims himself to be the Senior Joint Convenor of the ruling Awami League’s youth front - Juba League, but Prime Minister and Awami League supremo Sheikh Hasina has dismissed his claim.
She herself had ordered that Rana be arrested.
The majority of the victims after the collapse on Wednesday were readymade garment workers, who were forced into work by the factory owners on Wednesday despite safety alerts raised by the Industrial Police the previous day.
Two cases have already been filed with the Savar Model Police Station, over what is being described as the worst industrial disaster in the history of Bangladesh, against Rana and the owners of the five garment factories located in the building.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh girl ‘raped’ in Dhaka by ‘Facebook friend’
- First female VC of BUET Khaleda Ekram passes away
- India ‘watching’ Chinese defence minister's Dhaka visit closely
- May 22’s HSC, equivalent tests pushed back again to Jun 12 due to UP polls
- Supreme Court rejects State’s appeal on CrPC Sections 54, 167
- Bangladesh child aged 4 appears ancient with swollen face, sagging skin
- Dhaka court jail a den of harassment for women inmates for lack of separate cell
- Narayanganj 7-murder prime accused Nur Hossain feels dizzy, collapses in the dock during hearing
- Twin girls found in Bangladesh swamp
- Why no damages for detention even after acquittal, asks High Court