Amar Desh runs on limited scale
Published: 2013-04-12 15:59:06.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-12 15:59:57.0 BdST
Following arrest of its Acting Editor and sealing of the press, the Daily Amar Desh will publish, though on a limited scale, Executive Editor of the broadsheet Abdal Ahmed said on Friday.
Amar Desh Editor Mahmudur Rahman was arrested on Thursday morning on sedition charge over publishing of alleged Skype communication of a judge of the international crimes tribunal with an expatriate legal expert.
Later in the afternoon, police sealed off the press of the newspaper.
But the newspaper, also charged with spreading religious hatred through publishing distorted information, appeared on Friday under alternative arrangements.
Ahmed said: “The newspaper will be published on Saturday under same arrangements. All concerned are working as usual.”
He said the number of copies published on Friday was lower than the demand as they had to find out a new press to print it. He added that they had plans to raise the number of copies for the Saturday issue.
Ahmed said: “(The newspaper) has huge demand at different places including Dhaka. In this situation, the demand cannot be met… (We) have to publish fewer numbers of copies. That’s why no copies can be sent outside Dhaka.”
Detectives are grilling Mahmudur as a Dhaka court allowed them to take him on a 13-day remand after he was arrested in three cases.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Suspect said Pakistani led attack on Ansars at Teknaf camp of Rohingya refugees: Police
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing