‘US, UK banks refusing Islami Bank’
Published: 2013-04-11 12:50:25.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-11 20:19:44.0 BdST
Banks in the United Kingdom and the United States are not accepting transactions made through the Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited, President of the BGMEA said on Thursday.
In the backdrop of the unprecedented problem, apparel sector’s apex body has requested Bangladesh Bank Governor Atiur Rahman to resolve the issue, saying many of its members were facing troubles.
“We find that banks in the United Kingdom and the United States are not accepting export bills and documents through the Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd. So, those who are transacting through the bank are in trouble. We have requested the Bangladesh Bank to take immediate measures,” the BGMEA President said.
The customers of the bank, especially those related to export-import of readymade garment products, are facing problems, amid allegations that the bank is tied to the Jamaat-e-Islami.
The troubles for the bank compounded in the recent months after the Ganajagaran Mancha in Shahbagh called for boycott of the bank, blaming it for financing religious extremism.
On Feb 20, the leaders of three major organisations of the RMG sector -- BGMEA, BKMEA and BTMA – had met the central bank Governor and submitted a plea in writing for a resolution of the issue.
The Islami Bank has been under international pressure for a few years after allegations surfaced about its alleged funding of militant groups across the globe.
HSBC Bank USA, Citi Bank NA and Bank of America have stopped transactions with Islami Bank following the accusations.
The Bangladesh Bank has been monitoring the Islami Bank for quite some time. It appointed an ‘Observer’ to the institution in 2010. General Manager of Forex Reserve and Treasury Management Department Kazi Saidur Rahman is currently the Observer for the bank.
A report on alleged money laundering and terrorist funding by the Islami Bank has been placed before a Senate committee in the United States.
The bank posted a clarification on its website and denied the charges.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Case starts on Satkhira Chhatra League leader’s murder, 3 detained
- Netrokona court orders life sentences for three in murder of farmer
- Thakurgaon court awards death penalty to man for murdering father
- HC issues rule asking why Tangail MP Rana will not be granted bail
- Chittagong airport police stops 22 ‘Rohingyas’ from flying
- Burqa-clad women suspected of radical propaganda at Mymensingh school
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- Shahriar Alam leads Bangladesh at ACD meeting in Abu Dhabi
- Trucks hits motorcycle in Dhaka killing two persons
- Hindu kirtan singer’s throat slit in Khulna
- Shihab ‘killed by younger brother’, police say parents knew
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Bangladeshi-American Behnaz Kibria nominated to US trade advisory committee
- Shakib moves to career-best place in Test batsmen rankings after Wellington Test
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- Hawkers warn Dhaka South Mayor Khokon over eviction
- Myanmar interested in taking back nationals, says Foreign Minister Ali
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders