1 dead in Khulna clashes
Published: 2013-04-11 07:33:53.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-11 07:34:12.0 BdST
One person was killed and at least 25 others, including policemen, were injured when strikers clashed with law enforcers in Khulna’s Dumuria Upazila on Thursday during a shutdown of the Islami Chhatra Shibir.
When clashes broke out and the police were forced to open fire, Mansur Ali, 40, died on spot. Atleast seven policemen were injured .
Dumuria Police Station Acting OC Mohammad Mashiur Rahman blamed the Jamaat-Shibir activists for attacking the police. “ Police were forced to open fire.”
Mansur Ali, who died in the clashes, is a local Jamaat-e-Islami leader. At least 20 Jamaat activists,e said to be injured, have been hospitalised.
Khulna District Police Superintendent Mohammad Golam Raouf Khan said attacks were led by local Jamaat leader Mansur Ali. “Now the situation is calm. Additional law enforcers have been deployed in the area.”
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- PM Hasina greets Mamata on her West Bengal win with Hilshas
- Bob Dylan turns 75, with latest tour and album in the wind
- MP Salim Osman again refuses to apologise to the teacher he abused
- Narayanganj school head teacher was forced to resign, probe body finds
- Police charge BNP’s Aslam with sedition over ‘plot with Israel to overthrow Bangladesh govt’
- Sedition case against BNP’s Aslam Chowdhury to be filed on Thursday: IGP
- PM Hasina accorded red carpet reception in Japan
- SMS payments spell trouble for college applicants
- Prime Minister Hasina joins G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan
- Bangladesh to send aid for Sri Lanka flood victims