3 Hindu temples vandalised in Tangail
Published: 2013-04-05 09:46:05.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-05 10:04:51.0 BdST
Miscreants have smashed nine idols in three Hindu temples in Tangail’s Mirzapur.
Officer in Charge of Mirzapur Police Station Golam Mostofa said the smashed idols were found from a bush beside a street.
He said none were detained in connection with the incidents.
Attacks on religious minorities’ places of worship across Bangladesh have seen a rise in the recent months. The Jamaat-e-Islami and its student front, Islami Chhatra Shibir, have mainly been blamed for the hate attacks.
After Jamaat stalwart Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 on war crimes charges perpetrated during the 1971 Liberation War, the party went on a nationwide rampage.
Hindu temples, houses and business establishments were attacked from Feb 28 to Mar 4 in several areas of Banshkhali and Satkania. An elderly person, Hari Shil, of Shilkupa was also hacked to death.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Two ‘killers’ of SP Babul’s wife ‘confess’ in Chittagong court
- PM Hasina inaugurates work of Metrorail, Bus Rapid Transit
- Dhaka-Chittagong train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ launched
- Factbox: Copa America finals since 1993
- Tonu's father says he feels threatened to speak the truth
- Banks to remain closed on Jul 4
- No scope to misinterpreting SP Babul’s ‘interrogation’, DMP chief says
- Superintendent Babul Aktar says he was called to discuss his wife’s murder
- New train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ to start operating on Dhaka-Chittagong route from Saturday
- Scotland could veto Brexit laws to protect its interests, says First Minister Sturgeon