3 Hindu temples vandalised in Tangail
Published: 2013-04-05 09:46:05.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-05 10:04:51.0 BdST
Miscreants have smashed nine idols in three Hindu temples in Tangail’s Mirzapur.
Officer in Charge of Mirzapur Police Station Golam Mostofa said the smashed idols were found from a bush beside a street.
He said none were detained in connection with the incidents.
Attacks on religious minorities’ places of worship across Bangladesh have seen a rise in the recent months. The Jamaat-e-Islami and its student front, Islami Chhatra Shibir, have mainly been blamed for the hate attacks.
After Jamaat stalwart Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 on war crimes charges perpetrated during the 1971 Liberation War, the party went on a nationwide rampage.
Hindu temples, houses and business establishments were attacked from Feb 28 to Mar 4 in several areas of Banshkhali and Satkania. An elderly person, Hari Shil, of Shilkupa was also hacked to death.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist