‘Miscreants’ set Gazipur temple on fire
Published: 2013-03-22 09:31:26.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-22 09:32:16.0 BdST
Unidentified miscreants set a Hindu temple ablaze at Gazipur Sadar Upazila in the wee hours on Friday.
The temple was set on fire at around 3am Friday at the Keshurita Modhyaparha Shri Shri Laximata Mandir in the upazila, the temple’s management committee chief Shyamal Chandra Das told bdnews24.com.
But the locals managed to douse the flames quickly, he said. “Four idols in the temple were damaged.”
He, however, could not say who the perpetrators were.
Sadar Upzila Nirbahi Officer Fouzia Rahman visited the site in the morning and assured that legal measures would be taken over the matter.
After Bangladesh’s first war crimes tribunal awarded death sentence to Jamaat-e-Islami leader and war criminal Delwar Hossain Sayedee on Feb 28, the activists of Jamaat and its student wing Islami Chhatra Shibir have been carrying out violent attacks across the country.
Many Hindu temples and households were attacked, vandalised and torched since then in different parts of the country.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- PM Hasina greets Mamata on her West Bengal win with Hilshas
- Prime Minister Hasina joins G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan
- MP Salim Osman again refuses to apologise to the teacher he abused
- New budget keeps present government’s last year in mind: Muhith
- Bob Dylan turns 75, with latest tour and album in the wind
- Eight dead after bus falls off bridge in central Bangladesh
- Youth hacks schoolgirl to death, injures her 3 classmates in Chapainawabganj
- Food crisis in Bandarban's Thanchhi due to heavy rainfall, locals fear worse
- Police charge BNP’s Aslam with sedition over ‘plot with Israel to overthrow Bangladesh govt’
- Jessore Juvenile Development Centre inmate Sonu claims he was trafficked from Delhi