‘Miscreants’ set Gazipur temple on fire
Published: 2013-03-22 09:31:26.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-22 09:32:16.0 BdST
Unidentified miscreants set a Hindu temple ablaze at Gazipur Sadar Upazila in the wee hours on Friday.
The temple was set on fire at around 3am Friday at the Keshurita Modhyaparha Shri Shri Laximata Mandir in the upazila, the temple’s management committee chief Shyamal Chandra Das told bdnews24.com.
But the locals managed to douse the flames quickly, he said. “Four idols in the temple were damaged.”
He, however, could not say who the perpetrators were.
Sadar Upzila Nirbahi Officer Fouzia Rahman visited the site in the morning and assured that legal measures would be taken over the matter.
After Bangladesh’s first war crimes tribunal awarded death sentence to Jamaat-e-Islami leader and war criminal Delwar Hossain Sayedee on Feb 28, the activists of Jamaat and its student wing Islami Chhatra Shibir have been carrying out violent attacks across the country.
Many Hindu temples and households were attacked, vandalised and torched since then in different parts of the country.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Two killed after truck hits three-wheeler in Barisal
- Five to hang, 27 others to receive prison sentences for Habiganj murder
- BNP leader MA Kayum, six others to face trial over murder of Italian national Cesare Tavella
- Police arrest four ‘JMB operatives’ after raiding hideout in Bagerhat
- Jhenaidah schoolgirl injured in knife attack
- Two killed in shootout' with police in Jhenaidah town
- College student detained on charges of hacking classmate to death in Tangail
- Attorney General Alam says HC verdict declaring 16th Amendment illegal will be challenged in a month
- Human rights activist Sultana Kamal says lack of justice in Bangladesh fueling defeatism
- Bangladesh, Greece hold second political dialogue
- Obaidul Quader says being AL general secretary is highest recognition of political career
- Bangladesh call up Mosaddek and Subashis in squad for second Test against England
- Syed Ashraf takes leave to holiday in London
- Cricketer Sabbir will appear in ‘attractive’ TV commercial of beverage Oscar, PRAN says
- Proloy Kumar, Molla Nazrul, 26 other superintendents of police transferred
- Gunmen kill 59 in attack on police academy in Pakistani city of Quetta
- All eyes on Obaidul Quader, Syed Ashraf after Monday's Cabinet meeting
- US owner claims Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge exploded
- England captain Cook amazed by fourth innings Bangladesh reply
- Awami League names secretaries for Central Working Committee