BTV turns to Somoy TV for Bangabhaban ceremony
Published: 2013-03-21 17:59:30.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-21 18:00:38.0 BdST
Government-run Bangladesh Television took help from private satellite station ‘Somoy TV’ to telecast live the function of state honour to late President Md Zillur Rahman from the Bangabhaban on Thursday afternoon.
Asked why the function was not beaming the event live at its own initiatives, BTV officials avoided direct answers.
The people watching the mourning ceremony on BTV screen found that it was being telecast with the help of Somoy TV.
The BTV Director General could not be reached on his mobile phone for comment despite several attempts.
Its Chief News Editor Gopal Chandra Dev suggested talking to its General Manager Shafique Uddin Shikder and Deputy Director General (Programme) M Monirul Islam.
Shikder told bdnews24.com: “We’re late to make a decision on the matter last night. I don’t know the details.”
Asked who could provide details, he said: “You may talk to the DDG (Deputy Director General-Programme) on the issue.”
Reached on his mobile phone, DDG Islam said: “It was too late for a decision.”
He, however, said BTV did live telecast when Zillur Rahman’s mortal remains reached at the airport and members of armed forces accorded state honour to the late President.
Head of news of Somoy TV Tusher Abdullah told bdnews24.com: “I think they (BTV) had no plan. They might have not thought that a programme could be covered live from the Bangabhaban.”
He said BTV had also telecast other programmes with the help of Somoy TV on different occasions in the past.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Anger, doubts boil up as gas prices raised in Bangladesh
- Jaishankar reaffirms India’s support to 'peaceful, stable' Bangladesh
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April
- Another suspect arrested over Gaibandha ruling MP Liton's killing
- Verdict in second case against industrialist Ragib Ali over tea estate fraud on Feb 26
- Cricketer Sunny's mother gets bail in domestic violence case
- Indian Foreign Secretary Jaishankar arrives in Dhaka
- Foreign Journalists call on State Minister for Foreign Affairs
- MP Liton killing: Police recover pistol buried in Kader's Gaibandha home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Foreign sailor killed by cracked pipe hot water in ship at Chittagong Port
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Forced relocation of Myanmar nationals in Bangladesh can create tension: ICRC