‘Miscreants’ desecrate idols in 4 Bogra temples
Published: 2013-03-20 09:54:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-20 09:55:19.0 BdST
Gabtoli Police Station Officer in-Charge Ali Ahmed Hamshi said the temples of Sabek para, Karmakar Para, Bamunia of Sonarai Union and Kamarchatt of Rameswarpur Union were vandalised on Tuesday midnight.
‘Miscreants’ have desecrated idols in four Hindu temples of Gabtoli upazila in Bogra.
Hindus in Kamarchatt were in a state of shock after the attacks on the temples, resident Shishir Karmakar told bdnews24.com.
Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana said all the vandalised temples were situated by the road.
Only the idols were desecrated.
District Administrator’s office assured financial assistance for the damaged temples.
Bogra Deputy Commissioner Sarwar Mahmud, district Police Superintendent Mojammel Haque, Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana, Puja Udjapan Parishad and Awami League leaders and police visited the sites on Wednesday morning.
They assured of security and compensation.
Ramesshapur Union’s former Chairman and district Awami League chief AH Azam Khan said that the residents of the affected areas were poor and illiterate. “No one would say who did it (desecration)”.
Several Hindu localities and temples were targeted in the violence that followed after Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 for crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
A total of 67 people including seven policemen were killed in the violence. One Hindu man reportedly died during the attacks.
In Bogra, attacks were carried out on policemen and houses and hostels of Awami League leaders were set on fire.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CHTC demands judicial probe into Romel's death in letter to home minister
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- PM Hasina asks BNP for evidence of Haor radiation claim
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece