‘Miscreants’ desecrate idols in 4 Bogra temples
Published: 2013-03-20 09:54:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-20 09:55:19.0 BdST
Gabtoli Police Station Officer in-Charge Ali Ahmed Hamshi said the temples of Sabek para, Karmakar Para, Bamunia of Sonarai Union and Kamarchatt of Rameswarpur Union were vandalised on Tuesday midnight.
‘Miscreants’ have desecrated idols in four Hindu temples of Gabtoli upazila in Bogra.
Hindus in Kamarchatt were in a state of shock after the attacks on the temples, resident Shishir Karmakar told bdnews24.com.
Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana said all the vandalised temples were situated by the road.
Only the idols were desecrated.
District Administrator’s office assured financial assistance for the damaged temples.
Bogra Deputy Commissioner Sarwar Mahmud, district Police Superintendent Mojammel Haque, Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana, Puja Udjapan Parishad and Awami League leaders and police visited the sites on Wednesday morning.
They assured of security and compensation.
Ramesshapur Union’s former Chairman and district Awami League chief AH Azam Khan said that the residents of the affected areas were poor and illiterate. “No one would say who did it (desecration)”.
Several Hindu localities and temples were targeted in the violence that followed after Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 for crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
A total of 67 people including seven policemen were killed in the violence. One Hindu man reportedly died during the attacks.
In Bogra, attacks were carried out on policemen and houses and hostels of Awami League leaders were set on fire.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Netrokona court orders life sentences for three in murder of farmer
- Thakurgaon court awards death penalty to man for murdering father
- HC issues rule asking why Tangail MP Rana will not be granted bail
- Chittagong airport police stops 22 ‘Rohingyas’ from flying
- Burqa-clad women suspected of radical propaganda at Mymensingh school
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- Shahriar Alam leads Bangladesh at ACD meeting in Abu Dhabi
- Trucks hits motorcycle in Dhaka killing two persons
- Hindu kirtan singer’s throat slit in Khulna
- Bangladesh cyclists community smashes Guinness World Records
- Shihab ‘killed by younger brother’, police say parents knew
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Bangladeshi-American Behnaz Kibria nominated to US trade advisory committee
- Shakib moves to career-best place in Test batsmen rankings after Wellington Test
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- Hawkers warn Dhaka South Mayor Khokon over eviction
- Myanmar interested in taking back nationals, says Foreign Minister Ali
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders