‘Miscreants’ desecrate idols in 4 Bogra temples
Published: 2013-03-20 09:54:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-20 09:55:19.0 BdST
Gabtoli Police Station Officer in-Charge Ali Ahmed Hamshi said the temples of Sabek para, Karmakar Para, Bamunia of Sonarai Union and Kamarchatt of Rameswarpur Union were vandalised on Tuesday midnight.
‘Miscreants’ have desecrated idols in four Hindu temples of Gabtoli upazila in Bogra.
Hindus in Kamarchatt were in a state of shock after the attacks on the temples, resident Shishir Karmakar told bdnews24.com.
Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana said all the vandalised temples were situated by the road.
Only the idols were desecrated.
District Administrator’s office assured financial assistance for the damaged temples.
Bogra Deputy Commissioner Sarwar Mahmud, district Police Superintendent Mojammel Haque, Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana, Puja Udjapan Parishad and Awami League leaders and police visited the sites on Wednesday morning.
They assured of security and compensation.
Ramesshapur Union’s former Chairman and district Awami League chief AH Azam Khan said that the residents of the affected areas were poor and illiterate. “No one would say who did it (desecration)”.
Several Hindu localities and temples were targeted in the violence that followed after Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 for crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
A total of 67 people including seven policemen were killed in the violence. One Hindu man reportedly died during the attacks.
In Bogra, attacks were carried out on policemen and houses and hostels of Awami League leaders were set on fire.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- PM Hasina greets Mamata on her West Bengal win with Hilshas
- Narayanganj school head teacher was forced to resign, probe body finds
- Bob Dylan turns 75, with latest tour and album in the wind
- MP Salim Osman again refuses to apologise to the teacher he abused
- Sedition case against BNP’s Aslam Chowdhury to be filed on Thursday: IGP
- Police charge BNP’s Aslam with sedition over ‘plot with Israel to overthrow Bangladesh govt’
- PM Hasina accorded red carpet reception in Japan
- SMS payments spell trouble for college applicants
- Bangladesh probes 2013 Sonali Bank hack for links to central bank heist
- BNP Standing Committee members are like newly-wed brides: Zafrullah Chowdhury