‘Miscreants’ desecrate idols in 4 Bogra temples
Published: 2013-03-20 09:54:56.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-20 09:55:19.0 BdST
Gabtoli Police Station Officer in-Charge Ali Ahmed Hamshi said the temples of Sabek para, Karmakar Para, Bamunia of Sonarai Union and Kamarchatt of Rameswarpur Union were vandalised on Tuesday midnight.
‘Miscreants’ have desecrated idols in four Hindu temples of Gabtoli upazila in Bogra.
Hindus in Kamarchatt were in a state of shock after the attacks on the temples, resident Shishir Karmakar told bdnews24.com.
Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana said all the vandalised temples were situated by the road.
Only the idols were desecrated.
District Administrator’s office assured financial assistance for the damaged temples.
Bogra Deputy Commissioner Sarwar Mahmud, district Police Superintendent Mojammel Haque, Upazila Executive Officer Munira Sultana, Puja Udjapan Parishad and Awami League leaders and police visited the sites on Wednesday morning.
They assured of security and compensation.
Ramesshapur Union’s former Chairman and district Awami League chief AH Azam Khan said that the residents of the affected areas were poor and illiterate. “No one would say who did it (desecration)”.
Several Hindu localities and temples were targeted in the violence that followed after Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28 for crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
A total of 67 people including seven policemen were killed in the violence. One Hindu man reportedly died during the attacks.
In Bogra, attacks were carried out on policemen and houses and hostels of Awami League leaders were set on fire.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Superintendent Babul Aktar says he was called to discuss his wife’s murder
- SP Babul Aktar being questioned, says home minister
- Dhaka-Chittagong train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ launched
- New train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ to start operating on Dhaka-Chittagong route from Saturday
- Death toll in Uttara elevator mishap rises to six
- ‘Three more bags’ in Dhaka's Uttara canal a week after arms haul
- PM Hasina to inaugurate work of Metrorail, Bus Rapid Transit depot Sunday
- BNP leader former army chief Mahbubur Rahman hurt in road traffic accident
- Extended nine-day Eid vacation as Jul 4 announced as holiday
- Bangladesh gets AIIB’s first loan for power project