Hindus attacked in Khulna, Netrokona
Published: 2013-03-19 09:30:19.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-19 09:48:41.0 BdST
Some miscreants have reportedly attacked the minority Hindu community, vandalised their houses, shops and temples, and detonated bombs in Khulna city and Netrokona Sadar during the strike call given by the opposition alliance.
Over 150 youths brandishing sticks and sharp weapons attempted to break open the door of Pabla Sarbajanin Kalibari Temple in Netrokona city’s Banikpara around 9:30pm on Monday night, witnesses told bdnews24.com.
Unable to break the door, they climbed on the temple and vandalised its glasses and floor, they said.
“They also blasted two crude bombs.”
Then they vandalised the houses and shops of Hindus in the area.
Doulatpur Police Station Officer in Charge Mohammad Akhter Hossain confirmed the incidents to bdnews24.com.
“We reached the scene soon after the attacks, and nabbed Humayun Kabir, 26, and Arman, 18, from there.”
Attempts were on to find others, he said.
Local authorities visited the site of attacks.
Meanwhile, in Netrokona, Model Police Station Officer in Charge Azizur Rahman told bdnews24.com a general diary (GD) was filed in connection with desecration of seven idols in Harimandir in Sadar upazila’s Bobahala.
Temple attendant Mithun Dutta said the ‘miscreants’ smashed the seven idols into pieces on Monday night.
The temple committee informed the police of the incident.
Local authorities visited the damaged temple site at around 10am on Tuesday morning, bdnews24.com local Correspondent reported.
Nationwide attacks on Hindus broke out soon after Jamaat-e-Islami leader Delwar Hossain Sayedee was sentenced to death on Feb 28.
One Hindu man reportedly died in the attacks.
Police claim the attacks were being carried out by those who are opposed war crimes trials.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Two ‘killers’ of SP Babul’s wife ‘confess’ in Chittagong court
- Messi says he is retiring from international football
- Chile beat Argentina in shootout to retain Copa America title
- Dhaka-Chittagong train ‘Sonar Bangla Express’ launched
- Factbox: Copa America finals since 1993
- No scope to misinterpreting SP Babul’s ‘interrogation’, DMP chief says
- PM Hasina inaugurates work of Metrorail, Bus Rapid Transit
- Scotland could veto Brexit laws to protect its interests, says First Minister Sturgeon
- Sweden urges Bangladesh’s support to candidature in election to UN Security Council
- 4.7 magnitude tremor shakes southern region of Bangladesh