Panel to check comments on Islam, Prophet
Published: 2013-03-13 10:40:46.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-13 10:46:19.0 BdST
The government on Wednesday formed a nine-member committee to identify and take action against those making derogatory remarks against Islam and Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) using Facebook and blogs.
Press Secretary to the Prime Minister Abul Kalam Azad said Mainuddin Khandakar, an Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Home, has been made the head of the committee on the directive of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
He added that the home ministry would take necessary action on the basis of the recommendations of the committee.
The committee could take help from experts and give secretarial support to the ministry, he said.
The committee would apprise the Prime Minister’s Office of the progress of its assignment.
Members of the committee would be drawn from the PMO, Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC), Law and Judicial Department, Information Ministry and the Religious Affairs Ministry, while directors-general of the NSI and the DGFI, and the Additional DIG of Special Branch would also be included.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Anger, doubts boil up as gas prices raised in Bangladesh
- Jaishankar reaffirms India’s support to 'peaceful, stable' Bangladesh
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April
- Another suspect arrested over Gaibandha ruling MP Liton's killing
- Verdict in second case against industrialist Ragib Ali over tea estate fraud on Feb 26
- Cricketer Sunny's mother gets bail in domestic violence case
- Indian Foreign Secretary Jaishankar arrives in Dhaka
- Foreign Journalists call on State Minister for Foreign Affairs
- MP Liton killing: Police recover pistol buried in Kader's Gaibandha home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Foreign sailor killed by cracked pipe hot water in ship at Chittagong Port
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Forced relocation of Myanmar nationals in Bangladesh can create tension: ICRC