13 picked for Ekushey Padak
Published: 2013-02-07 14:54:30.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-07 15:21:21.0 BdST
Thirteen distinguished personalities, including poets Rafiq Azad and Asad Chowdhury, have been nominated for the Ekushey Padak-2013 for their outstanding contributions to society and the country.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will formally hand over the prestigious awards to the persons at Osmani Memorial Auditorium on Feb 20, said an official handout on Thursday.
Ekushey Padak, a national award, was introduced in memory of the martyrs of the Language Movement of 1952.
The recipients of the award are: MA Wadud (posthumous) for the Language Movement, Language Movement veterans Prof Ajit Kumar Guha (posthumous), Prof Mohammad Kamruzzaman (posthumous) and Tafazzal Hossain, freedom fighter Enamul Haque Mostafa Shahid, Nurjahan Murshid (posthumous) in social welfare, Samson H Chowdhury (posthumous) in social welfare, poets Rafiq Azad and Asad Chowdhury in language and literature, Quadri Kibria, Jamaluddin Hossain, Bijoy Krishna Adhikari (known as folk poet Bijoy Sarker) (posthumous) and Bangladesh Udichi Shilpigosthi (leading progressive cultural organisation) in arts.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Netrokona court orders life sentences for three in murder of farmer
- Thakurgaon court awards death penalty to man for murdering father
- HC issues rule asking why Tangail MP Rana will not be granted bail
- Chittagong airport police stops 22 ‘Rohingyas’ from flying
- Burqa-clad women suspected of radical propaganda at Mymensingh school
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- Shahriar Alam leads Bangladesh at ACD meeting in Abu Dhabi
- Trucks hits motorcycle in Dhaka killing two persons
- Hindu kirtan singer’s throat slit in Khulna
- Bangladesh cyclists community smashes Guinness World Records
- Shihab ‘killed by younger brother’, police say parents knew
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Bangladeshi-American Behnaz Kibria nominated to US trade advisory committee
- Shakib moves to career-best place in Test batsmen rankings after Wellington Test
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- Hawkers warn Dhaka South Mayor Khokon over eviction
- Myanmar interested in taking back nationals, says Foreign Minister Ali
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders