13 picked for Ekushey Padak
Published: 2013-02-07 14:54:30.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-07 15:21:21.0 BdST
Thirteen distinguished personalities, including poets Rafiq Azad and Asad Chowdhury, have been nominated for the Ekushey Padak-2013 for their outstanding contributions to society and the country.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will formally hand over the prestigious awards to the persons at Osmani Memorial Auditorium on Feb 20, said an official handout on Thursday.
Ekushey Padak, a national award, was introduced in memory of the martyrs of the Language Movement of 1952.
The recipients of the award are: MA Wadud (posthumous) for the Language Movement, Language Movement veterans Prof Ajit Kumar Guha (posthumous), Prof Mohammad Kamruzzaman (posthumous) and Tafazzal Hossain, freedom fighter Enamul Haque Mostafa Shahid, Nurjahan Murshid (posthumous) in social welfare, Samson H Chowdhury (posthumous) in social welfare, poets Rafiq Azad and Asad Chowdhury in language and literature, Quadri Kibria, Jamaluddin Hossain, Bijoy Krishna Adhikari (known as folk poet Bijoy Sarker) (posthumous) and Bangladesh Udichi Shilpigosthi (leading progressive cultural organisation) in arts.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Anger, doubts boil up as gas prices raised in Bangladesh
- Jaishankar reaffirms India’s support to 'peaceful, stable' Bangladesh
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April
- Another suspect arrested over Gaibandha ruling MP Liton's killing
- Verdict in second case against industrialist Ragib Ali over tea estate fraud on Feb 26
- Cricketer Sunny's mother gets bail in domestic violence case
- Indian Foreign Secretary Jaishankar arrives in Dhaka
- Foreign Journalists call on State Minister for Foreign Affairs
- MP Liton killing: Police recover pistol buried in Kader's Gaibandha home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Foreign sailor killed by cracked pipe hot water in ship at Chittagong Port
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Forced relocation of Myanmar nationals in Bangladesh can create tension: ICRC