Top 100 British-Bangladeshi list published
Published: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST Updated: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST
A list of 100 leading British citizens of Bangladesh origin have been published, containing those who are ‘helping shape Britain for the better with their ideas, example, talent and success.’
The ‘British Bangladeshi Power 100’ list for 2013 was published at Westminster House of Commons on Tuesday (local time).
The list has twenty categories – entrepreneur, brand, politics, policy/civil service, legal, restaurateur, professional, networks & associations, academic/think tanker, medical, the city/finance, community activist, media, culture, community personality, sport, religious figure, 30 and under, community organisation and emerging influence.
35 new faces have made their way into the list. All those categorised under ‘Emerging Influence’ were new inclusions, whereas there is no new entry into the category ‘Entrepreneur’ and ‘Restaurateur’.
Iqbal Ahmed , chairman of the Seamark groups, is listed in the first category, ‘Entrepreneur’.
British Home Secretary Teresa May was the Chief Guest at the gorgeous event that announced the 'British Bangladeshi Power 100' list.
She praised the organisers for publishing the list.
BBPower 100 founder Abdal Ullah said a lot of promising figures have found their way into the list this year.
Its Editor, Ayesha Qureshi said BBPower 100 should be treated as a resource and as a forum for discussion.
Iqbal Wahab, Chair of Judging Panel said mainstream political parties in Bangladesh were not found to be having an impact on the community.
Syed Nahas Pasha from the Judges Panel pointed out that everyone had a misconception that Bangladeshis were only contributing in the catering sector. He said this year’s list has brought out other success stories of Bangladeshis in 20 different sectors.
The publication event was hosted by All Party Parliamentary Group Chair, St Albans MP Anne Main.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur out of IPL's second qualifier with injury
- Hasina specifies Bangladesh’s importance through G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan: Officials
- Nine dead after bus falls off bridge in central Bangladesh
- PM Hasina talks to Obama, others on sidelines of G7 Outreach Meeting
- Smart NID cards project stuck, EC gets reminder
- Amber Heard accuses estranged husband Johnny Depp of domestic violence
- Bangladesh scheduled for Boxing Day tie on New Zealand tour
- Sri Lanka thanks Bangladesh for relief materials
- Shakib returns home after a poor IPL stint
- Prime Minister Hasina joins G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan