Top 100 British-Bangladeshi list published
Published: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST Updated: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST
A list of 100 leading British citizens of Bangladesh origin have been published, containing those who are ‘helping shape Britain for the better with their ideas, example, talent and success.’
The ‘British Bangladeshi Power 100’ list for 2013 was published at Westminster House of Commons on Tuesday (local time).
The list has twenty categories – entrepreneur, brand, politics, policy/civil service, legal, restaurateur, professional, networks & associations, academic/think tanker, medical, the city/finance, community activist, media, culture, community personality, sport, religious figure, 30 and under, community organisation and emerging influence.
35 new faces have made their way into the list. All those categorised under ‘Emerging Influence’ were new inclusions, whereas there is no new entry into the category ‘Entrepreneur’ and ‘Restaurateur’.
Iqbal Ahmed , chairman of the Seamark groups, is listed in the first category, ‘Entrepreneur’.
British Home Secretary Teresa May was the Chief Guest at the gorgeous event that announced the 'British Bangladeshi Power 100' list.
She praised the organisers for publishing the list.
BBPower 100 founder Abdal Ullah said a lot of promising figures have found their way into the list this year.
Its Editor, Ayesha Qureshi said BBPower 100 should be treated as a resource and as a forum for discussion.
Iqbal Wahab, Chair of Judging Panel said mainstream political parties in Bangladesh were not found to be having an impact on the community.
Syed Nahas Pasha from the Judges Panel pointed out that everyone had a misconception that Bangladeshis were only contributing in the catering sector. He said this year’s list has brought out other success stories of Bangladeshis in 20 different sectors.
The publication event was hosted by All Party Parliamentary Group Chair, St Albans MP Anne Main.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Case starts on Satkhira Chhatra League leader’s murder, 3 detained
- Netrokona court orders life sentences for three in murder of farmer
- Thakurgaon court awards death penalty to man for murdering father
- HC issues rule asking why Tangail MP Rana will not be granted bail
- Chittagong airport police stops 22 ‘Rohingyas’ from flying
- Burqa-clad women suspected of radical propaganda at Mymensingh school
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- Shahriar Alam leads Bangladesh at ACD meeting in Abu Dhabi
- Trucks hits motorcycle in Dhaka killing two persons
- Hindu kirtan singer’s throat slit in Khulna
- Shihab ‘killed by younger brother’, police say parents knew
- Bangladeshi-American Behnaz Kibria nominated to US trade advisory committee
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Shakib moves to career-best place in Test batsmen rankings after Wellington Test
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- Hawkers warn Dhaka South Mayor Khokon over eviction
- Myanmar interested in taking back nationals, says Foreign Minister Ali
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders