Top 100 British-Bangladeshi list published
Published: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST Updated: 2013-01-23 05:43:04.0 BdST
A list of 100 leading British citizens of Bangladesh origin have been published, containing those who are ‘helping shape Britain for the better with their ideas, example, talent and success.’
The ‘British Bangladeshi Power 100’ list for 2013 was published at Westminster House of Commons on Tuesday (local time).
The list has twenty categories – entrepreneur, brand, politics, policy/civil service, legal, restaurateur, professional, networks & associations, academic/think tanker, medical, the city/finance, community activist, media, culture, community personality, sport, religious figure, 30 and under, community organisation and emerging influence.
35 new faces have made their way into the list. All those categorised under ‘Emerging Influence’ were new inclusions, whereas there is no new entry into the category ‘Entrepreneur’ and ‘Restaurateur’.
Iqbal Ahmed , chairman of the Seamark groups, is listed in the first category, ‘Entrepreneur’.
British Home Secretary Teresa May was the Chief Guest at the gorgeous event that announced the 'British Bangladeshi Power 100' list.
She praised the organisers for publishing the list.
BBPower 100 founder Abdal Ullah said a lot of promising figures have found their way into the list this year.
Its Editor, Ayesha Qureshi said BBPower 100 should be treated as a resource and as a forum for discussion.
Iqbal Wahab, Chair of Judging Panel said mainstream political parties in Bangladesh were not found to be having an impact on the community.
Syed Nahas Pasha from the Judges Panel pointed out that everyone had a misconception that Bangladeshis were only contributing in the catering sector. He said this year’s list has brought out other success stories of Bangladeshis in 20 different sectors.
The publication event was hosted by All Party Parliamentary Group Chair, St Albans MP Anne Main.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Anger, doubts boil up as gas prices raised in Bangladesh
- Jaishankar reaffirms India’s support to 'peaceful, stable' Bangladesh
- Kabori’s memoirs at Ekushey Book Fair
- PM Hasina's official visit to India in April
- Another suspect arrested over Gaibandha ruling MP Liton's killing
- Verdict in second case against industrialist Ragib Ali over tea estate fraud on Feb 26
- Cricketer Sunny's mother gets bail in domestic violence case
- Indian Foreign Secretary Jaishankar arrives in Dhaka
- Foreign Journalists call on State Minister for Foreign Affairs
- MP Liton killing: Police recover pistol buried in Kader's Gaibandha home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- BNP is a terrorist organisation: Canada court
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Big fashion brands pull out of Bangladesh garment summit over worker rights concerns
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Foreign sailor killed by cracked pipe hot water in ship at Chittagong Port
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Forced relocation of Myanmar nationals in Bangladesh can create tension: ICRC