25 years of sacrifice for democracy
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2012-11-09 19:06:37.0 BdST Updated: 2012-11-09 19:06:37.0 BdST
Noor Hossain was killed on Nov 10, 1987during demonstrations against the autocratic regime of Ershad.
Noor Hossain was killed when the police fired on a pro-democracy procession near Zero Point in the city on Nov 10, 1987, which taken out against the autocratic regime of Hussein Muhammad Ershad.
The Juba League activist had a slogan 'Swairachar Nipat Jak, Gonotantra Mukti Pak' (down with autocracy, let democracy be freed) inscribed in white paint on his bare chest and back when a bullet pierced through his body.
Another Jubo League leader Nurul Huda Babul and peasant leader of Bajitpur Aminul Huda Tito were also killed in police firing.
His death strengthened the movement spearheaded by the Awami League-led 15- party alliance, leading to the fall of the autocratic ruler Ershad on Dec 6, 1990 and helped restore democracy in the country.
The Zero Point has been renamed Noor Hossain Square in his honour.
Ruling Awami League, Jubo League, opposition BNP, Shaheed Noor Hossain Sangsad, Jubo Gono Forum, Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal and Bangabandhu Sangskritik Jote have all chalked out programmes to commemorate the sacrifice of Noor Hossain.
President Md Zillur Rahman, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia paid tribute to the supreme sacrifices Noor Hossain in the anti-autocracy movement in separate messages on the eve of the day.
Shaheed Noor Hossain Sangsad will place wreaths at his grave at Jurain at 8am.
Wreaths will be placed also at Noor Hossain Square at 7am and a discussion organised at Awami League headquarters at Bangabandhu Avenue at 3pm to pay homage to the martyrs of anti-autocracy movement.
In a statement, Awami League General Secretary Syed Ashraful Islam urged the leaders and workers to observe the day in an apt way.
The BNP will also play wreaths at Noor Hossain Square to pay respects.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur out of IPL's second qualifier with injury
- Amber Heard accuses estranged husband Johnny Depp of domestic violence
- Sexagenarian Railways Minister Mazibul Hoque becomes father of a baby girl
- 11, including 2 candidates, killed in violence in fifth-phase union council elections
- Danish Ambassador calls to save 200-yr old dying Bangladeshi tradition
- UP polls member aspirant in Chittagong murdered outside voting centre
- Hasina specifies Bangladesh’s importance through G7 Outreach Meeting in Japan: Officials
- AL leader Hanif claims news of Joy-Safadi meeting is BNP-staged drama
- Smart NID cards project stuck, EC gets reminder
- PM Hasina talks to Obama, others on sidelines of G7 Outreach Meeting