War crime case filed against Habiganj AL leader
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2010-03-04 15:10:45.0 BdST Updated: 2010-03-04 15:10:45.0 BdST
A war crime case was filed on Thursday against a local Awami League leader, accused of killing more than 100 Hindus in Lakhai upazila, Habiganj, during the 1971 war of liberation.
Hari Das Rai of Krishnapur village filed the case against Liakat Ali at Habiganj District Magistrates Court on Thursday.
He said Liakat, who was involved in the murder of 127 members of the minority Hindu community at Krishnapur village in 1971, was also the Razakar commander of the area at the time.
Seven others were also accused in the case. The plaintiff was accompanied by a number of local AL leaders during the filing of the case.
According to the case, the eight accused attacked the village in the early hours of Sep 18, 1971 and lined up 128 Hindus. They then opened fire, killing 127 of them.
The plaintiff claimed to be the only surviving member of the group.
Member of AL's district committee, Abul Hashem Mollah Masum told journalists that Liakat was involved with the Razakars in 1971.
He said "In 1967, Liakat along with his father and a number of family members were found guilty of a robbery case at Krishnapur village and was handed a five year jail sentence. Liakat led the Razakars to conduct the killings to avenge that."
Hari Das was represented by Jilu Miah and Khitish Gop in the hearing of the case.
Liakat's mobile could not be reached for his reaction to the case. Locals informed that Liakat has been a member of Awami League for 15 years.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Iran says its pilgrims will not attend Hajj in Saudi Arabia
- Mustafizur returns for Hyderabad in IPL final against Bangalore
- Awami League trashes Safadi-Joy meeting report, asks BBC Bangla to be careful
- Gold prices drop by Tk 1,516 in Bangladesh after going up five times
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur out of IPL's second qualifier with injury
- Sajeeb Wazed Joy trashes media report about his meeting with Israeli politician Mendi N Safadi
- Target killings are handiwork of BNP, aim to raise question about Bangladesh, says Hasina