US Ambassador in Dhaka Bernicat ‘relies on’ bdnews24.com for news
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-10-23 22:16:15.0 BdST Updated: 2016-10-24 02:24:00.0 BdST
US Ambassador in Dhaka, Marcia Bernicat, says she banks on bdnews24.com to get news in and on Bangladesh, her current workplace.
She joined the ‘Terrific Ten Years’ celebrations of the country’s first internet newspaper at Radisson Blu Dhaka Water Garden hotel Sunday evening.
“It’s great to be here on the 10th anniversary of bdnews24.com. I have it on all my devices, so I can always access news particularly when I’m travelling,” a smiling Bernicat, attired in a blue saree, said.
Speaking about media’s role, she said, “You all keep us honest. I’m a government official trying to do my job the best I can, but when I don’t the media is there to keep us in check.”
“It’s not to tear us down but for good which is why freedom of press is so important for a healthy democracy,” she added.
Among other guests, Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu and State Minister for ICT Zunaid Ahmed Palak were present.
The foreign diplomats among the attendees included DPRK Ambassador Ri Song Hyon and Deputy Head of Mission Hamid Machhour, Morocco.
Policy-makers of the government and political parties, top judges and lawyers; businesspersons, industrialists and entrepreneurs; poets, writers and journalists, cultural activists, sport personalities and organisers; civil and military officers and a diverse range of representatives involved in setting and altering the discourse have also joined the celebrations.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Bangladesh to introduce rota virus, HPV vaccines in 2018